Has Anyone Done This?

Mike_H

Has anyone used Google Earth to keep track of fossil localities? I started with one so far. It was the only way I could find where it was since it just had coordants. Just wonder if anyone has done the same.

I don't use it to keep track of them, but the aerial photos are great for scouting possible locations before you get there. I save locations with a GPS or with a map of the area.

I keep all mine in my head :blink::DB) . That way no one can find my spots B)

They will go to the grave with me. Im pretty good with remembering directions, so if I have been there once, I can get back.

I do. However, the resolution in the sorts of places we look is usually not super great. They don't exactly have "street view" going out in the middle of the Great Basin. Of course, print-outs of the aerials are still awesome when in the field.

One "gotcha" to watch out for - my GPS device uses the format "Degrees, Decimal Minutes". I originally thought this was just a rounded version of "Degress, Minutes, Seconds". It is not, in fact, you'll be way, way off if you make that mistake (yep, I did).

You can set Google Earth GPS format in Tools / Options / 3D View tab. Most GPS devices allow you to change this in the device as well if you want.

Edited by davehunt

I find it great when I didn't take the time to note the "tenths of a mile from wherever" but via the satellite image I can see the road cut or quarry. Just wish they updated the images more often.

Bing maps has a pretty decent feature called 'bird's eye' that has a really nice 360 degree view of a location. Caveat being it doesn't work well in rural areas and it's Microsoft. Cool when you can use it. bing.com/maps

Im pretty good with remembering directions, so if I have been there once, I can get back.

Me too, but I can tell you that the landscape can change a lot in 20 years. :P

I know two people that use that method it seems to work ok

I use a program called Ozi- explorer

This program holds all my points of interest (fossil sites)

down loaded from the GPS, in a data base. and it will show all on digital

topo map which can be saved and even printed as can the POI list

But if I show you the map, I would have to kill you