Cam28

Was just reviewing a paper that covers this, which apparently can be used to calculate mackerel shark total body lengths based on an anterior tooth to some accuracy. [Length in cm = -26.665 + crown heights (in mm) times 12.499] Since this formula was devised from modern goblin sharks, anyone know if it can also be used with carcharhiniform/ground shark teeth or are they too dissimilar? (Have a somewhat large hemipristis upper anterior I've meant to try this on)

On 12/31/2018 at 2:23 PM, Cam28 said:

Was just reviewing a paper that covers this, which apparently can be used to calculate mackerel shark total body lengths based on an anterior tooth to some accuracy. [Length in cm = -26.665 + crown heights (in mm) times 12.499] Since this formula was devised from modern goblin sharks, anyone know if it can also be used with carcharhiniform/ground shark teeth or are they too dissimilar? (Have a somewhat large hemipristis upper anterior I've meant to try this on)

I doubt it especially with the goblin having an oversized snout and it doesn't help that Hempristis belongs to a different order.  You could look around the web for someone selling modern Hemipristis (H. elongatus) jaws.  A good label will have the total body length of the shark so you can calculate from the upper anteriors of that one.  You could also try contacting Dr. Gordon Hubbell.

• I found this Informative 1