Kato

On a walkabout before another wintry event here in Alamogordo, chanced across two brachiopods. Are these dictyoclostus variants?

image.thumb.png.a8eef316040c377ae4d2accb3cb77fe9.png

No idea what the blinking coin means.

But the first one is a nice productid.

Number two looks more rhynchonellid. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

39 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

No idea what the blinking coin means.

But the first one is a nice productid.

Number two looks more rhynchonellid. 

'Blinking coin'? Is that a slang terminology in Morocco? It's a US 1944 war nickel made from silver minted in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania...

I was stumbling around in Pennsylvanian formations today, thus the 'P'. and I used the coin for size reference.

• I found this Informative 2

Given our international membership, it is preferable to use a ruler or tape measure to indicate scale. Not everyone here is familiar with the sizes of US decimal coinage. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kato said:

'Blinking coin'? Is that a slang terminology in Morocco? It's a US 1944 war nickel made from silver minted in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania...

I was stumbling around in Pennsylvanian formations today, thus the 'P'. and I used the coin for size reference.

Yes, but don't be so insular please. :)

I have no idea whatever size that means. 

Neither do many of the other members here. 

Not everyone knows where Philadelphia is nor cares. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 minutes ago, Kato said:

It's a US 1944 war nickel

I wondered if you knew that.  I saw that mint mark above Monticello and thought "Hey! That's a war nickel!"  Nice!  (Btw, I know what the diameter is...)

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Given our international membership, it is preferable to use a ruler or tape measure to indicate scale. Not everyone here is familiar with the sizes of US decimal coinage. ;)

Point taken. I didn't happen to have access to a metric ruler at the time the photo was taken. As well, being a new member I wasn't yet aware of the international membership.

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I wondered if you knew that.  I saw that mint mark above Monticello and thought "Hey! That's a war nickel!"  Nice!  (Btw, I know what the diameter is...)

I did...and now regret my attempt at levity. I've traveled to and enjoyed my travels to over 40 countries and did not feel I was insular until now. ;(

• I found this Informative 3

10 minutes ago, Kato said:

Point taken. I didn't happen to have access to a metric ruler at the time the photo was taken. As well, being a new member I wasn't yet aware of the international membership.

It's all good. :) 

And nice nickel (we also replaced the nickel content in ours in Canada for a few years during WWII in favour of tombak, and I have a few 1943 US steel pennies).

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

17 minutes ago, Kato said:

I did...and now regret my attempt at levity. I've traveled to and enjoyed my travels to over 40 countries and did not feel I was insular until now. ;(

Happy New Year! 

:)

We're all friends here. 

In reply to your question, the first one is Dictyoclostus, in my opinion, the second one not. 

Dictyoclostus, and the majority of specimens in its group have one flat valve, like most productids. 

I still think the second is a rhynchonellid.  

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.