New Here, Fossil I.d.?

TriloGuyKy

I'm a novice and beginning fossil hunter/collector, and am learning how fun and addictive it can be. I live in Lexington, KY. Rocks here are all Ordovician in age. Am posting some photos of a large mystery rock. I suspect it may be some type of coral or part of a coral/bryozoan colony, but not certain. It just looks so marine-like in appearance! Anyone with expertise in Ordovician fossils help me figure out what it is! Thanks and looking forward to being a member here.

The 4th & last pic is of a smaller similar artifact found in the same outcrop on a roadcut in central KY.

post-2269-12534003361473_thumb.jpg

post-2269-12534006118812_thumb.jpg

post-2269-12534010043872_thumb.jpg

post-2269-12534010149613_thumb.jpg

Welcome!

It looks suspicious (in a coral kind of way)...if you can get larger clearer pics (closeups)of the items it would help. The biggest problem with IDing from pics is detail.

Be true to the reality you create.

Welcome. I used to live there. Looks like it may be bryozoan, but looks kind of "worn". Our KY Ordovician expert should chime in here eventually.

Welcome!

It looks suspicious (in a coral kind of way)...if you can get larger clearer pics (closeups)of the items it would help. The biggest problem with IDing from pics is detail.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I too think its either Bryazoan or Coral of some type it is just so odd looking with the small things embedded in it and the holes in it. Im pretty sure the roadcut I got it from was Lexington Limestone, Middle Ordovician.

post-2269-12534798794366_thumb.jpg

First off, welcome to the forum!

The latest pic you posted is the only one that shows any fossils that I can see. If you look at the upper left corner of the last photo you posted, you see a "y" shaped fossil that is probably a Bryozoan of some sort. I think what you have are fossiliferous rocks, but the overall shapes tell me they are just heavily weathered pieces of Limestone rocks. They are beautifully sculpted but the actual fossils will be the smaller pieces lodged in the limestone that look like coral fragments and clam shells.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Yep, there is the one piece from a trepostomate, but the rest appears to be a hunk of weathered limestone... probably Tanglewood mb of the Lexington Lm.