British dinosaur vert PLEASE HELP ID

fossil_sea_urchin

Please look at these pictures of a dinosaur bone I bought not so long ago. Seller says it's from Duriatitan humerochristatus(a british Titanosaur),but it is from a different location to the other Duriatian remains and is not a very well preserved bone. It's from Abington, Oxon, UK Kimmeridge clay. 

Please write your opinions

Thanks!

• I found this Informative 2

Could you post the photos directly here for us to see? Some of us are not as keen on downloading files to view images, or do not have iCloud access. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

Ok I will try that it might take some time though. Sorry

No apologies necessary... We're not in any hurry, as the possible vert has gone unidentified for likely millions of years, so what's a few more hours or days? :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

In looking at was described from a Duriatitan I only can find a humerus as part of the holotype so its hard to understand how a seller would be able to describe it to that species unless it's a humerus.  Other sauropods are known from those deposits.  Photos might help.

This was recently posted, similiar subject of the ID of isolated bones

42 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

In looking at was described from a Duriatitan I only can find a humerus as part of the holotype so its hard to understand how a seller would be able to describe it to that species unless it's a humerus.  Other sauropods are known from those deposits.  Photos might help.

This was recently posted, similiar subject of the ID of isolated bones

Thanks!

As TYBOY said Duriatitan is known from a 1.4 meter long humerus found at Smallmouth sands, Dorset, UK. Duriatitan humerochristatus means Dorset's Titan with a crested humerus, ironically the seller claims it was from Oxfordshire. I was thinking it was from Duriatitan but now I think it could even be Cetiosaurus. 

2 hours ago, TyBoy said:

This might help but from what Im reading other sauropod including indeterminate ones look like are present in that deposit.  Most likely need someone knowledgeable on sauropods to ID yours if possible given it's condition.

UpchurchMartin2003-cetiosaurus.pdf

Thank You! It really does look quite similar to the first diagram.:hammer01::doh!:In fact it seems more likley Cetiosaurus than Duriatitan. Thanks!

I tend to agree with DE&i with the two nutrient holes in the bottom that are typical with some Pliosaurs

Unsure if nutrient holes are seen in sauropods as could not find an image of the underside of a sauropod vertebra 

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

It would be good to obtain some straight in photos of the vertebra from all sides that are not from obtuse angles.  Difficult to tell much with such closeup photos where the specimen is not completely in the frame.

That is good advice @TyBoywith some scale bar. @Mike from North Queenslandspotted the foramina which I missed. It is normal for sauropods to have nutrient foramina; the transverse processes look a little weird to me though, and is that a ventral keel in this photo. 

IMG_2083.thumb.jpg.cb5d501ea1ee5f93135a72a5b5f16010 (1).jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

13 hours ago, TyBoy said:

It would be good to obtain some straight in photos of the vertebra from all sides that are not from obtuse angles.  Difficult to tell much with such closeup photos where the specimen is not completely in the frame.

Here are some more.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

Sure that it is from dinosaur not from marine reptile ?

On the very first view i would tend more to marine reptile....

Hi

Thanks Darren. Everything about this says pliosaur to me but I wouldn't rule out dinosaur. After all the argument about whether some of the huge Peterborough centra are pliosaur or sauropod has been raging for decades, as Darren knows.

The find location, the total absence of the neural arch, the perfectly symmetrical paired sub central foramina, the large cell open bone structure and slightly concave articular surfaces all give the same indication. It looks as though there are (or were) chevron facets and the rib articulations are not divided and seem relatively small, so I think it may be an early caudal. Its certainly very big so probably Pliosaurus macromerus. 

Paul

Here's a Pliosaurus macromerus cervical from Westbury, Wiltshire (Kimmeridgian) for comparison (13 x 12 x 5 cm): 

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#1.jpg

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#2.jpg

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#3.jpg

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you @paulgdlsfor your opinion. I too think Pliosaur but as you say difficult to rule out dinosaur until seen up close.

It's the ventral keel you can see I think looks interesting. I've read that this is missing from S.macromerus but present in P. brachydeirus. 

by L. B Tarlo a giant Pliosaur from the Kimmeridge Clay 

vol2_part1_pp39-55 (1).pdf

IMG_2099.thumb.jpg.14250632fdd2cafc14493dd3e49d6f53 (1).jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

13 hours ago, paulgdls said:

Hi

Thanks Darren. Everything about this says pliosaur to me but I wouldn't rule out dinosaur. After all the argument about whether some of the huge Peterborough centra are pliosaur or sauropod has been raging for decades, as Darren knows.

The find location, the total absence of the neural arch, the perfectly symmetrical paired sub central foramina, the large cell open bone structure and slightly concave articular surfaces all give the same indication. It looks as though there are (or were) chevron facets and the rib articulations are not divided and seem relatively small, so I think it may be an early caudal. Its certainly very big so probably Pliosaurus macromerus. 

Paul

Here's a Pliosaurus macromerus cervical from Westbury, Wiltshire (Kimmeridgian) for comparison (13 x 12 x 5 cm): 

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#1.jpg

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#2.jpg

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#3.jpg

Pliosaur cervical centrum ex Westbury#4.jpg

So if it is a pliosaur does that mean it is worth less?