Best Public Places to Dino Hunt?

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions... What are the best sites or formations to dig for dinosaur fossils? Which of them are free to the public (open to anyone to dig)? And how do you get a license or permit (if needed) to dig? It would be really awesome for some replies for this topic. Thanks!

Unless you're a paleontology student applying for a permit, your best chances are finding someone with private land that will allow you to collect there. You can also find companies that give field trips to hunt, but they're a little pricey. 

...I'm back.

I hear that Kem Kem is pretty good! 

Not that I know a lot about it. :D;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

20 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I hear that Kem Kem is pretty good! 

Not that I know a lot about it. :D;)

Do you have any tips on how to get started in KemKem? :)

Are there like guided tours to quarrys or just a good webpage with usefull information for planing a trip there?:) 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Abstraktum said:

Do you have any tips on how to get started in KemKem? :)

Are there like guided tours to quarrys or just a good webpage with usefull information for planing a trip there?:) 

I really have no idea, i'm an invertebrate lover! :D

Never been there, though i have some pieces given and bought that i love. 

My good friend @Haravex may be the go to guy for this.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, FossilsandScience said:

What are the best sites or formations to dig for dinosaur fossils?

I have heard that you can dig in the Hell Creek formation in North Dakota. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I have heard that you can dig in the Hell Creek formation in North Dakota. 

Keep this in mind though.

“Q: Can we keep the fossils we find?
A: No – all fossils we find will return to the State Fossil Collection in Bismarck, ND.”

This is from their FAQ.

LINK

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

The majority of the dinosaur fossils in my collection have come from my time with PaleoProspectors, a fossil hunting group which takes parties out to private ranches in MT, SD, ND, WY and NE to collect vertebrate fossils. The best part about PaleoProspectors is that you can keep everything you find with the exception of scientifically important specimens. The program includes room and board in a motel/hotel in a town near the site along with all of the tools necessary for a successful hunt. Dr. Steve Nicklas and the rest of the guides are highly knowledgeable about what you may find out there and how to go about looking for it. Fossil hunting with PaleoProspectors is the best opportunity to find and keep dinosaur and other fossils, I cannot recommend it enough as my experiences have been outstanding with them. 

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have.