Lee Creek unknown

daves64

I recently bought some Lee Creek spoils matrix from @PaleoRon & have been digging through it here & there. This morning among the usual teeth, mouth plates & vertebrae I found this. No idea what it is. Sort of small.. 4 mm x 5 mm in size with one side covered with rings. Any ideas? The backside is just lumpy more than anything.

A070 - 19691231_160000.jpg

A071 - 19691231_160000.jpg

A072 - 19691231_160000.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Probs a stretch, but imo I feel like it could be a bunch of imprints of some sort. The object minus the markings appears to be to be geological or metallic...

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

52 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Drum fish mouth plate, Pogonias sp. I think! :)

I was thinking the same thing, but it's very thin & I don't think the mouth plates are thin. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

@daves64 There is always the possibility of crocodile scutes, I have seen some from there. Of course @Tidgy's Dad may be right because I found a broken drum mouthplate with one drum tooth in it (there is only a fragmented part) and I have a friend who has found 3-4 complete ones. When they don’t have teeth in them they look very similar.

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Now that I’m looking at it better the back side says croc scute.

• I found this Informative 2

41 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Now that I’m looking at it better the back side says croc scute.

Well, if it is, it's a first for me. :fingerscrossed: I have at least one small partial drum fish plate w/o teeth plus a couple others that have teeth that are similiar to a drum fish (I need to find them in my containers & take pics of them). But a croc scute with rings? Fancy croc. lol

• I found this Informative 2

maybe fish pharyngeal tooth plate

Here are some nice examples of tiny pharyngeal plates at a right scale to compare to, from Julianna's collection .

RC2Pharyngealplates2.thumb.jpg.73ab763270dced118fdd8da3d924991b.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Here are some nice examples of tiny pharyngeal plates at a right scale to compare to, from Julianna's collection .

Seems too thick. Daves64 said that in one of his other posts.

13 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I have a couple small examples of that type as well. Here's a better pic of the surface (sort of). I changed out the lens cap from a notched black for a solid white. Also an edge on view to show how thin it is.

A070.jpg

A071 .jpg

Thank you for the photos. I'll remain in the pharyngeal tooth plate vs. croc scute.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Thank you for the photos. I'll remain in the pharyngeal tooth plate vs. croc scute.

Me too!  Iv'e seen so many of these... the one in OP's photo is just all worn down to the rims of what once were teeth.

Julianna

• I found this Informative 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

7 minutes ago, old bones said:

the one in OP's photo is just all worn down to the rims of what once were teeth.

That's what was in my mind. :D

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks! :D

• 1 year later...