Some Callovian finds

Ludwigia

I just sort of hijacked one of Nimravis' topics to show these finds, so I figured it'd be better if I continued the story here.

I took off for my first proper hunt in a couple of months this morning in the hopes that the bit of snow we'd had hadn't decked the site in the Wutach valley that I had chosen. As luck would have it, it was still relatively pristine, so I was able to spend about 4 hours digging away in a familiar embankment in the search for some nice Callovian ammonites. This time the Gods were with me, so it looks like I've got a bit of prepping to do. The ammos appear to belong mostly to the Macrocephalites family, but there are some other species and also a couple of echinoids represented. I think I'll start with the one on the left. It's a double, although you can't see the smaller one at the top all that well.

5c2d13aaa626f_Jeisshtte02_01_19.thumb.jpg.21674fc6366a4c3357ba00e4f6b58550.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I see a bunch of potential good ones there. Congratulations Roger. Glad you were able to get out and hunt.  Love to see that batch after you perform a little magic in your prep lab. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

:drool:

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I see a bunch of potential good ones there. Congratulations Roger. Glad you were able to get out and hunt.  Love to see that batch after you perform a little magic in your prep lab. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Can't wait to see them prepped Roger. You do amazing things with your ammonites.

Thanks guys. Patience please. I've also got some commission work to do, so I'll have to squeeze these things in in between.

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks guys. Patience please. I've also got some commission work to do, so I'll have to squeeze these things in in between.

Sounds familiar! :D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Very nice that you got out for a bit of digging this time of year, and that it paid off very well. I'll fetch the popcorn and eat it very slowly. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice ammonites, can't wait to see them prepped!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

These are very nice with good potential! I hope you will post your prep work in this thread when you get the time.:popcorn:

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Very nice that you got out for a bit of digging this time of year, and that it paid off very well. I'll fetch the popcorn and eat it very slowly. :D 

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice ammonites, can't wait to see them prepped!

-Christian

49 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

These are very nice with good potential! I hope you will post your prep work in this thread when you get the time.:popcorn:

Well, at least I've made a proper photo of the one I'll be tackling first. You can still barely see the smaller ammonite on the right, which I'm secretly hoping is a Bullatimorphites. I've decided to get right down to it tomorrow, since it seems to have some good potential. It was in 2 pieces, which I've just glued together so that it can cure overnight. The commision work can wait for a few hours, right?

1.thumb.jpg.a863483c5d47f1c07b1df70b8c1fb3d7.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

The commision work can wait for a few hours, right?

:)... rigth.

It will be a piece of art!

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

As you know all too well, there are so many unforeseen circumstances that cause a slight delay in preparation. 

Pursuing a possible Bullatimorphites may just count. -- just remain vague with the client about the "unforeseen circumstance." :D 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

As you know all too well, there are so many unforeseen circumstances that cause a slight delay in preparation. 

Pursuing a possible Bullatimorphites may just count. -- just remain vague with the client about the "unforeseen circumstance." :D 

:ninja:

Nice basket of goodies with potential. 

And knowing the results of your prepping I am eager to see the results. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

We want ammonites! When do we want them, now! We want Ludwigia's prepping skills, when do we want them, now!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

22 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Wutach valley

Which part of the Wutach valley?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

18 hours ago, Kane said:

That constitutes a "family emergency" me thinks. Unfortunately the commissioned work justifies the non-commissioned work all too often. At least it does for me, and I have a new shop that's over budget to justify!

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Please watch the spelling :P

That was Spellcheck.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

So. Number one is done. Didn't turn out quite the way I had imagined, but I'm nevertheless content with the result. It turned out that what I thought could be a Bullatimorphites proved to be a Cadoceras, which isn't bad, considering the scarcity of this genus in this horizon, but the poor thing was so decomposed that it wasn't worth keeping. But, 'nuff said. Here are some pics:

Stage 1. After an hour or so of scribe work:

2.thumb.jpg.ee696ef3a0bb5a01cb60197fdc545491.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.f54b93fb46a4413dc3c7ba2e64e06183.jpg

Stage 2. After a couple of hours of abrading with scribing in between.

4.thumb.jpg.f9221a958b6e5f0a7140be4a2d17055d.jpg

Stage 3. Done with abrading. Practically finished. This is how it would have looked if the Cadoceras had been in better shape.

5.thumb.jpg.320152d8655753051b7007128e2fd052.jpg

So I put the Cadoceras aside...

8.thumb.jpg.ef8d0fb42c35f27a19a4342b7f8a4236.jpg

...and retained the Macrocephalites for the collection.

6.jpg.459fa260bfbb069af23a98c71616b6b2.jpg

7.jpg.733f80199863b9458e5ec26856a88ee6.jpg

Finally I filled in a few cracks with stonemeal and finished off with Rember beeswax.

A1421a.thumb.jpg.6e61bae59cbde41ae8b0500de40e6019.jpg

A1421b.thumb.jpg.e2303fc667422a941acdabbbb1f65e23.jpg

Macrocephalites sp. 14cm. diameter.

• I found this Informative 9