Scouting roadcut for Eurypterids. Success!!

Al Tahan

My Eurypterid hunting from this past weekend has got me chomping at the bit! The current thaw hasn’t been buried in snow yet so good news. I had about 40 free minutes today and I was 15 minutes from a roadcut known to expose the Phelps member of the Bertie group. I decided to slip out and scout the outcrop and see what it looks like for 2019. I want to give it a good try this year. I ended with a lucky little visit!! It’s hard to hunt here but with some work it could produce. Finding anything is a win. 

I use to hunt here more often years ago (2012) but lost all my progress to another fossil hunter. No hard feelings at all. It’s just fossil hunting. Long story short I exposed a good shelf and cut my hand and had to leave. The next time I came back the shelf was busted into a million pieces. So I’ve left it alone mostly for years and hunt there once in a very great while. In a sense they helped me get the rock out to weather. 

It it looks like a pretty tired exposure with the one hole I started with help of my unknown fossil friend. Each time I go back it seems like me and one other person are the only visitors. It’s getting more overgrown each year. I’ve seen a super nice double come from this place...but back when it was much less overgrown. 

FB554182-2C6F-4E6D-A078-8022B41B605A.jpeg

7AA5BE53-184D-4E5F-B808-D75F968ACC1F.jpeg

18AF9732-1988-4413-897A-2369DBFFE537.jpeg

• I found this Informative 14

This is the shelf I started that got “finished” lol. It’s produced so it’s good news and digging near the spot could produce more. This shelf is very “locked” here and the Phelps member is exposed. Needs some work. 

F4A03A56-2FEF-4300-88D1-56D78975606E.jpeg

6B41F9A9-0B61-46E4-8CC0-7663479D8AE8.jpeg

8E625A69-1B7C-4E96-9E4C-72FAEDBCCB9C.jpeg

B8E0D336-5DE0-4F15-80D1-74A617D03F21.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

Best part about all that work I did years ago is all the pieces were left to weather....and I’ve made all my finds only after that. My best specimen came from a weathered piece from that block. It looks like someone has dug it once or twice since I did a couple years ago. Some weathering has occurred! 

725798C6-7DD5-4349-9AAE-1F569DD114EB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

This is a field photo of the nice little prosoma with a body segment...does it keep going? :fingerscrossed::headscratch:

7AF3C714-63F9-42B8-AF3C-031D70F529B9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Awesome finds, Al. 

I have been eyeing that roadcut on Google Maps for a long time. 

Think I may have to get there this year. :) 

Thanks for posting these.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

So in conclusion actually found more today than I usually do on trips to this place. The list of finds:

3 prosomas

1 metasoma 

1 body segment 

I was only there for 15-25 minutes so this was great to get some rare material from a seemingly forgotten location. 

I put a picture up of my favorite specimen from the day...I keep thinking it keeps going then don’t then do then don’t lol :headscratch:

Thanks,

Al

8CAE8795-5A62-414A-94CC-C89619C2286A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Finding one of these guys is 3rd on my bucket list. 1st was finding a complete Ceraurus mifflinensis. I checked that off the beginning of 2016 on a impromptu trip to Grant County, Wisconsin. 2nd on my bucket list is a complete Hypodicranotus striatulus (ordovician trilobite from the Galena formation which happens to appear in NY(the trilobite) as well). Hopefully I'll be able to hit New York up this year and scratch out another bucket list find. Great find! I love finding road cuts that yield treasures like this. Thanks for sharing!! 

Best regards

Paul

• I found this Informative 2

...I'm back.

Oh yea forgot to add the pile of Phelps member material I took home that looks promising with the help of a hammer. Nothing yet ha. 

758DE37F-7987-4BEC-B455-C5FEEECD5461.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

@Raggedy Man oh wow!! Is the galena formation trilobite Upstate? When the time comes for you to do #2 and #3 on your bucket list let me know :) 

Thanks! @Fossildude19 when you decide to go check this place out be sure to shoot me a message I’ll gladly join the effort. :hammer01:

Awesome site! Someday I hope to finds some eurypterids, it just seems so rare to find anything from these creepy crawlies of the ancient depths.

• I found this Informative 2

Great finds Al! It seems that you are on a roll. Keep up with those Great finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Awesome haul! Eurypterids only come in dreams (and occasionally old literature) in Maryland. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

@Raggedy Man oh wow!! Is the galena formation trilobite Upstate? When the time comes for you to do #2 and #3 on your bucket list let me know :) 

Thanks! @Fossildude19 when you decide to go check this place out be sure to shoot me a message I’ll gladly join the effort. :hammer01:

trilobite-hypodicranotus-striatulus_wide_400.jpg.224d534ca90a555c8200f906bf32b0e4.jpg

Hypodicranotus striatulus (Walcott, 1875)
Middle Ordovician
Rust Formation, Trenton Group
Walcott - Rust Quarry
Trenton Falls, New York, U.S.A. 

This is the little guy im on the look out for. It appears in our Galena formation with several other trilobites from the Rust formation. I would love to have representations from both...lol. The preservation in the Rust formation is far superior, but I love the light caramel color our trilobites have.

...I'm back.

Awesome report! Some roadcuts just have amazing fossils in them.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thanks for taking us to this interesting and productive outcrop. Sure there are some more goodies hidden - good luck!
Franz Bernhard

6 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Each time I go back it seems like me and one other person are the only visitors. 

I know that feeling. It was the same at my Kimmeridgian ditch at the side of the road, although my mysterious colleague only seemed to have made a couple of visits and then left it to me alone. I ended up exploiting it practically alone, although I had informed a good number of friends about it. Maybe it'll turnout to be the same for you, unless Tim decides to tag along, which would be nice.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

WOW - great work, Al!!!  I'm also looking forward to seeing what you find from this little outcrop - eurypterids are amazing!!! :popcorn: