aplomado

What is so special about the Keichousaurus?

aplomado

I am not aware of any other non-fish vertebrate fossil that is easily available fully articulated (correct me if I am wrong!)

Why?  What is so special about the Keichousaurus from China?  

Articulated reptiles seem to extremely rare, and yet there appears to be a enormous exception for the Keichousaurus!

WhodamanHD
5 hours ago, aplomado said:

I am not aware of any other non-fish vertebrate fossil that is easily available fully articulated (correct me if I am wrong!)

Apateon and it’s kin are easily available if you know where to look, and usually articulated. I have a few sent by a friend.

aplomado
19 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Apateon and it’s kin are easily available if you know where to look, and usually articulated. I have a few sent by a friend.

You are right!

MarielleK

Thank you for asking this question, it was something I was wondering about as well. 

siteseer
On 1/3/2019 at 12:36 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Right, and back in the 80's to maybe early 90's, numerous skeletons of Mesosaurus (Early Permian of Brazil) were available for sale and a number of those were also beautifully intact.  Sometimes, an artful preparator dug out a limb or two (pressed against and underneath) and repositioned it to make the specimen more saleable.  The Brazilian government stopped export of fossils sometime in the 90's. 

Some Triassic pachypleurosaur skeletons from Switzerland were also for sale during the 80's.