Reposting of find

GaryMc

Hi everyone. Would like to say thanks to all who tried to help me yesterday! Here is a better pic of the underside of this find. It shows much more detail. I have also posted what looks to be a tooth or fang. No one yesterday was able to confirm what I think are snake heads. My problem agreeing with all is that all of these I've found have what appears to be eyes, a spot on what I think is posterior head, and they all look to have a mouth line.  Nearly all of the individual stones are being found touching each other. What is more bizarre to me and my wife is that the stones all have nearly the same shape, however no two are alike, meaning I'm finding these now in big to little order or vise versa. Yesterday I was able to collect what appears to be an entire length of one of these. I have yet to clean yesterday's find but I am going to now and try to piece it together. If anyone wants to take a look at the pic I have of the big collection of stones, I have in the center of the pic a few partial pieces I found in the very same order. Also, the biggest one on the left rear was found as is.  All the hundred or so pieces were found in an area about 8feet wide by 2 feet thick. In addition to these whatever they are, im finding petrified wood, or roots of petrified wood. Thanks very much for your time!  More pics to come soon!

• I found this Informative 1

These don't change my mind about your items. 

Still only seeing rocks. Fossils do not generally form in 3 dimensional shape. 

As  forum member digit said yesterday, you may be finding these in an area that was an old riverbed, back somewhere/somewhen in antiquity. 

The arrangement of the stones could be attributed to the movement of the river. 

Things of the same weight moving along tend to end up deposited in the same area. 

If you are convinced that you have something extraordinary there, please take photographs of the site, and bring them to a professional paleontologist or geologist at a local museum, or university. :) 

Best of luck to you in discovering the geology of your area.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I concur with the others before me. These are rocks that happen to resemble something cool. Everyone on this forum has been duped by a cool looking rock become so welcome to the club. Mother nature has a cruel sense of humor sometimes

Hi, @GaryMc. I think it would be most helpful if you were to look at actual fossils of Missouri to know what can be found there. By seeing the real deal you'll come to understand.

If you want to know the kind of mistakes people are prone to, visit this page.  http://martyrightmyerbooks.com/dinosaurs_in_missouri I kinda feel sorry for the guy and I'm sure not trying to put him down. We have to educate ourselves sometimes, because things are not as they seem to the uneducated eye.

Here are a couple sites and PDF file to start you off:

http://www.lakeneosho.org/

http://paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=time_space&sectionnav=state&name=Missouri&period_id=12

http://www.lakesidenaturecenter.org/AOM - General - Fossils.pdf

• I found this Informative 2

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I'd encourage you to read the article on Pareidolia, near the beginning of this section on Fossil ID.

You're definitely seeing things that aren't there. We all do that every now and again, it's an artefact of how our brains work, but these are definitely just rocks.

Rocks, rocks, nothing but rocks. Sorry. What you're seeing in them is akin to seeing shapes in clouds. As previously mentioned, it's called pareidolia                        

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

As there is nothing more to be gleaned from this topic, it has been locked.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me