Small Mammal tooth

Shellseeker

Hunting buddy asked of I could get this tooth Identified. TFF my only chance. Florida Peace River.

The curved root seems rare.  Maybe an incisor.  I have not seen this previously but such a small fossil would easily be missed. 

Thank for any comments and suggested IDs. Length = 35 mm

IMG_4439Crop.thumb.jpg.8404bda5de4f91601b900ea1222cbfa6.jpgIMG_4440crop.jpg.74d2c7cacb0d7a1841ee66049f2998fe.jpgIMG_4441crop.jpg.efaab0fc657d7c9f8e2368db5141988d.jpgIMG_4443crop.jpg.8b548f2bb2d19273129cc54b9630b371.jpgIMG_4448crop.jpg.788df091fff99cf0aa9ac30f01687c8a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It looks like a broken Amarillo tooth that has the appearance of a point, but it's just broke. Not 100% though.

@Harry Pristis

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Armadillos have no incisors, and I think this is an incisor.  I can't think of anything else with those contours.  I don't recognize it beyond that.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

10 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Armadillos have no incisors, and I think this is an incisor.  I can't think of anything else with those contours.  I don't recognize it beyond that.

Thanks Harry.  The mere fact that you do not recognize it, speaks volumes. I guess I will submit to UF Identification service. I will let you know what they respond.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I have a response from Richard Hulbert, Director, Vertebrae Paleontology Lab, University of Florida, Gainesville.

The black material on the tooth sure seems to be enamel and it also has a distinct crown plus a root, so those characteristics would rule out armadillo plus all other xenarthrans (glyptodonts, sloths, etc.). I am not sure about what it is, but what it could be is that in bison mandibles there is a very small, rudimentary premolar that sits directly in front of the five larger cheek teeth. I can envision a case where in an older individual the root or this tooth grew in a funky, curved way like this (it is normally straighter).

I could also see it as a heavily worn peccary incisor with a pathological root....

Richard

Richard sees a lot of Florida fossils in his role as curator of the research lab.  I always add knowledge. I had never heard of the "very small, rudimentary premolars in Bison",  I had not considered the abnormality of the curve of the root, and I can take a look at peccary incisors to check for similarities.

@Harry Pristis

@fossilized6s

@PrehistoricFlorida

Thanks for the assistance.    Jack

• I found this Informative 6

Jack that is a fascinating delicate one...doesnt look like it could have traveled too far in the Peace without being broken/torn up. Was it found in a hole and was your buddy able to clean out screen the local area? 

Regards, Chris 

Chris,

Agree on the fragile nature of the root.  This would/should have broken up in turbulent water. He was hunting the Peace about 10 days ago and with the unusual water depth, some adjustments are necessary.

Out of the current, closer to the bank.  There is a location with a massive amount of small diameter gravel that preserves and produces smaller  shark teeth, bird bones, etc.  We tend to avoid it in normal conditions because other locations produce a greater diversity of more "impressive" fossils. I believe he was digging there.

We are also gravitating to feeder creeks until the rain and water subsides.. Take both ingenuity and flexibility these days and I think we also just appreciate getting out. It has been a strange season.  Jack

Hey Jack, thanks for the reply. I thought you might be being creative and away from the depth/torrents. Its interesting to investigate the different stretches/tributaries and their differences...you just never know how much different moving a couple feet can make in finding a different set of sediment/fossil types/preservations. 

You guys keep after them! 

Regards, Chris 

Hi Jack,

The only other thing I could think of is one of those oddball antelopes (Hexobelomeryx or relative or Pseudoceras).  Could it be an incisor of one of those?

Jess

On 1/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, Shellseeker said:

It has been a strange season.

And strange seasons produce strange finds when you are pushed out of your normal areas and have to get your fix by going to those spots you'd normally overlook.

Very cool oddball tooth. Thanks for sharing.

I've been itching to get into the Peace but that big pulse of water just before Christmas pushed the river level up nearly 7 feet and the rain must have been over a significant portion of the watershed as the level has been slow to drop. Still at least 4 feet to high to get into most spots and at least another foot more to get into one of my deeper spots. Lots of work to do around the house and (luckily) I'm packed to the gills with bags of various micro-matrix to pick through while I (impatiently) wait for the belated start of Florida Fossil Hunting Season.

Be safe out there.

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, PrehistoricFlorida said:

It reminds me a pig canine, Sus scrofa. 

Thanks,

I think you nailed it..Looks like a worn "N" below. Any chance that it is peccary or tapir ?

PigIncisor.JPG.281e3975622574df6de2cf737f66c8da.JPG

On 1/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, Shellseeker said:

Thanks,

I think you nailed it..Looks like a worn "N" below. Any chance that it is peccary or tapir ?

It's definitely not peccary or tapir.