Need help identifying. Some kind of bone? SOLVED: LIKELY DUGONG RIB

PSchleis

Hi everyone. My first time posting. Just found this one today at Myrtle Beach. It looks like a bone to me. Ideas? And if it is a bone, any thoughts on what it could be? I'm including photos with and without flash. Thank you!

Paula IMG_6357.jpg.5545e4e1ef87827bfba508809100eedc.jpgIMG_6358.jpg.1a720c810d77e22d625abd6d67a99846.jpgIMG_6359.jpg.14ba8c5970d2b1c05e95182e415c095b.jpgIMG_6360.JPG.1729d80021a51320dac778b34c2e8229.JPGIMG_6361.JPG.6ed527bbb47d5e7d01814211ab0ec861.JPGIMG_6362.JPG.60cd70c48a03f760f6eb2e69ac34459a.JPG

Edited by PSchleis
solved added to title

Look like some sort of igneous rock, is it hard or soft, it looks very porous? If it is soft it might be pumice. 

• I found this Informative 3

34 minutes ago, MrBones said:

Look like some sort of igneous rock

Sure it does! But it could also be some kind of slag (you may call them man-made igneous rocks ;)). I think, I can see some larger, smooth bubbles. These would point to slag, but I am not sure, though. Its a little bit odd.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

I can see some similarity to slag/volcanic igneous rocks but I'm inclined to go with a very worn beach tumbled bone fragment which are common up there and down here. The cracks length wise and denser appearing rind/outer layer (bottom of pic 3/4) and inner porous looking cancellous spongy bone area and a few larger holes possibly being pelecypod borings make me think that.  No diagnostic features present to help with any ID on the critter...I love picking up stuff like that at the beach and river and wondering what it is. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 6

typical reworked lag bone found on the beach there. (am agreeing with plant guy)

possibly manatee rib

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Plantguy said:

No diagnostic features present to help with any ID on the critter...I love picking up stuff like that at the beach and river and wondering what it is. 

Good analysis, Chris. 

Like @PlaxI would have reached for an ID of Dugong rib based on the 1st photo where the bone seems to narrow to a tip. Dugongs were so populous in the Southeast US fossil record,  you have good odds of IDing any bone that looks like this as Dugong.

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you so much.

FYI, it's not porous. It's dense and heavy. 

Looking forward to exploring all your ideas!

- Paula

If the specimen is dense and heavy, and was a long time in the ocean, probably is sufficiently lithified to be the right substrate for Gastrochaenolites boreholes.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

If the specimen is dense and heavy, and was a long time in the ocean, probably is sufficiently lithified to be the right substrate for Gastrochaenolites boreholes.

You can hardly take a step on this beach without seeing a big rock with those boreholes, so definitely common here. Thank you!

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, Shellseeker said:

Good analysis, Chris. 

Like @PlaxI would have reached for an ID of Dugong rib based on the 1st photo where the bone seems to narrow to a tip. Dugongs were so populous in the Southeast US fossil record,  you have good odds of IDing any bone that looks like this as Dugong.

Hi Shellseeker,

If you're knowledgeable about dugong bones, would you take a peek at the new topic I posted and see if it looks familiar to you? Thank you!