PSchleis

Need help identifying. Some kind of bone? SOLVED: LIKELY DUGONG RIB

PSchleis

Hi everyone. My first time posting. Just found this one today at Myrtle Beach. It looks like a bone to me. Ideas? And if it is a bone, any thoughts on what it could be? I'm including photos with and without flash. Thank you!

Paula IMG_6357.jpg.5545e4e1ef87827bfba508809100eedc.jpgIMG_6358.jpg.1a720c810d77e22d625abd6d67a99846.jpgIMG_6359.jpg.14ba8c5970d2b1c05e95182e415c095b.jpgIMG_6360.JPG.1729d80021a51320dac778b34c2e8229.JPGIMG_6361.JPG.6ed527bbb47d5e7d01814211ab0ec861.JPGIMG_6362.JPG.60cd70c48a03f760f6eb2e69ac34459a.JPG

Edited by PSchleis
solved added to title

MrBones

Look like some sort of igneous rock, is it hard or soft, it looks very porous? If it is soft it might be pumice. 

FranzBernhard
34 minutes ago, MrBones said:

Look like some sort of igneous rock

Sure it does! But it could also be some kind of slag (you may call them man-made igneous rocks ;)). I think, I can see some larger, smooth bubbles. These would point to slag, but I am not sure, though. Its a little bit odd.

Franz Bernhard

Plax

typical reworked lag bone found on the beach there. (am agreeing with plant guy)

possibly manatee rib

Shellseeker
2 hours ago, Plantguy said:

No diagnostic features present to help with any ID on the critter...I love picking up stuff like that at the beach and river and wondering what it is. 

Good analysis, Chris. 

Like @PlaxI would have reached for an ID of Dugong rib based on the 1st photo where the bone seems to narrow to a tip. Dugongs were so populous in the Southeast US fossil record,  you have good odds of IDing any bone that looks like this as Dugong.

PSchleis

Thank you so much.

FYI, it's not porous. It's dense and heavy. 

Looking forward to exploring all your ideas!

- Paula

abyssunder

If the specimen is dense and heavy, and was a long time in the ocean, probably is sufficiently lithified to be the right substrate for Gastrochaenolites boreholes.

PSchleis
2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

If the specimen is dense and heavy, and was a long time in the ocean, probably is sufficiently lithified to be the right substrate for Gastrochaenolites boreholes.

You can hardly take a step on this beach without seeing a big rock with those boreholes, so definitely common here. Thank you!

PSchleis
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, Shellseeker said:

Good analysis, Chris. 

Like @PlaxI would have reached for an ID of Dugong rib based on the 1st photo where the bone seems to narrow to a tip. Dugongs were so populous in the Southeast US fossil record,  you have good odds of IDing any bone that looks like this as Dugong.

Hi Shellseeker,

If you're knowledgeable about dugong bones, would you take a peek at the new topic I posted and see if it looks familiar to you? Thank you!