Pamar

Good day all!

Spent a couple hours down at the beach (Milnerton,Cape Town) yesterday - unfortunately it was a bit of a quite day. Only came across one tooth and some interesting bones I wasn’t able to identify.

5DBF9820-7760-47BE-AE14-E6B600B54F4F.thumb.jpeg.28c7759408f0c8b22d39d3254dddd1df.jpeg73251BD1-58F8-4104-82E8-254A94BF8480.thumb.jpeg.e43ca58bde055341d4df0b59594f1883.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice hunting!! At least you got out there. Winter is ruining my chances 

Thanks! I wish it was winter here, winter brings big storms that washes up all the big stuff.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I would consider any day you can find something recognizable to be successful!

:dinothumb:

Ditto... otherwise , some of my hunts would be less enjoyable.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I believe the first large piece of bone fragment is from whale skull.  I have similar looking pieces from the Pliocene of Virginia.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

5 hours ago, MikeR said:

I believe the first large piece of bone fragment is from whale skull.  I have similar looking pieces from the Pliocene of Virginia.

If I go to the beach tomorrow I’ll collect it and do a more detailed photo shoot- I thought skull just because of the thickness and complexity of the structure.

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

I would consider any day you can find something recognizable to be successful!

:dinothumb:

Same - especially after a couple days of striking out recently.

Awesome shark tooth! Never knew the beaches of Cape Town had fossil shark teeth. Do any of the beaches in the Eastern Cape  (South Africa) have that you know of?

3 hours ago, mamlambo said:

Awesome shark tooth! Never knew the beaches of Cape Town had fossil shark teeth. Do any of the beaches in the Eastern Cape  (South Africa) have that you know of?

Thanks - It’s possible but not that I personally know of. These fossils are coming out of a phosphate reef that runs up along the west coast to Namibia.I do know the Eastern Cape has a couple inland fossil deposits so there might be on the beach:shrug:

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice finds! Well done!

9 hours ago, mamlambo said:

6 hours ago, Pamar said:

the Eastern Cape has a couple inland fossil deposits

Watch out though, SA is very strict on its fossil hunting laws. Unless the fossils are in loose sediment (ie beach) it is forbidden to extract fossils from the ground in the country. Wouldn't want to be in any trouble with the authorities :wacko:

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

Very nice finds! Well done!

Watch out though, SA is very strict on its fossil hunting laws. Unless the fossils are in loose sediment (ie beach) it is forbidden to extract fossils from the ground in the country. Wouldn't want to be in any trouble with the authorities :wacko:

Thanks! Yeah the law can be quite restrictive. 

13 hours ago, Pamar said:

Thanks! Yeah the law can be quite restrictive. 

I know of a couple of places where they are inland, but like you say, only allowed to look at them. There have been some really old human footprints found at East London, at Nahoon beach I think. But unsure about any fossils.