Stumpty Stump

PrehistoricFlorida

Despite what the eBay listing says, this is not an artifact. This bone is naturally occurring just like you see it here.

This eBayer made a couple of mistakes in his listing, didn't he.

Occasionally, I've seen these bones broken and healed.

post-42-1253488829807_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Looks like a well-worn fish spine.....perhaps catfish? Not enough spikes though....hmmm.

I'm not sure about the base either. Interesting!!

Edited by TheBurningMap

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

ok, ok, is it a "splint bone", a vestigial metacarpal or metatarsal of like a paleopony? hangs out beside the cannon bone?

Tracer is correct. This is a "splint bone" or reduced metapodial of a deer. These are found in horses, deer, peccaries, etc and are remnants of earlier species with more toes.

Tracer gets the "Silver Kudos", similar to Harry's "Golden Kudos", but not as revered among Paleotologists.

Tracer is correct. This is a "splint bone" or reduced metapodial of a deer. These are found in horses, deer, peccaries, etc and are remnants of earlier species with more toes.

Tracer gets the "Silver Kudos", similar to Harry's "Golden Kudos", but not as revered among Paleotologists.

I have never found identified one of these deer splints. I thought this one must be a reduced metacarpal from a Plio-Pleistocene 3-toed horse because it has an articular head for a phalanx. That's why I posted the image of horse splints. Live and learn. :blush:

post-42-12535533992629_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Harry,

Yes, I thought yours were a little large for deer or peccary. Notice the size difference between yours and mine. Mine were also found on a strictly Pleistocene mammal site and are not from the Late Pliocene (Blancan) three-toed horse Nannippus. I'm of the opinion that not all deer had these during the Pleistocene. I've never found them on any of the deer that I've shot and butchered.

Harry,

Yes, I thought yours were a little large for deer or peccary. Notice the size difference between yours and mine. Mine were also found on a strictly Pleistocene mammal site and are not from the Late Pliocene (Blancan) three-toed horse Nannippus. I'm of the opinion that not all deer had these during the Pleistocene. I've never found them on any of the deer that I've shot and butchered.

I don't think size of the head of the bones is much different, and the length of the little horse bones is indeterminate in the image (I think I have one or two complete specimens somewhere).

I do see two features that are distinctly different, now that I'm focused on them. First, the deer splint seems to be straight - without curve - while the horse splints have a distinctive curve near the distal head.

The second feature is that the deer splint flares out as it thins to nothing toward the proximal end. The horse splints don't grow thinner as they near the proximal end, but grow slighly more rubust. There is an actual articular surface on both ends of the horse splint.

Here's what I mean:

post-42-12535656934831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

I have 2 peices in my collection that look exactly like those pictured.my problem is , one is completely hollow.i assumed both were bird,and one just fossilized with sediment inside.

I have 2 peices in my collection that look exactly like those pictured.my problem is , one is completely hollow.i assumed both were bird,and one just fossilized with sediment inside.

Show us the images, and Nate will identify them. :rolleyes:

What seest thou else

im still photo catologing my finds,so it will have to be in the morning ,when i have some sunlight.should i post them in id section,or on this thread?