Is this tooth dakotaraptor or nano?

Captcrunch227

Hello all. Seller has this labeled as a dakotaraptor tooth.  After hours of my own research and still being unable to come to a clear conclusion I decided to post here for help. Troodons guide helped a great deal but I still couldn't be positive. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6976.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_6972.JPG

IMG_6973.JPG

Dakotaraptor is dromaeosaur, so it should have different sized serrations on front and back.  I cannot make out the comparative sizes in these pix.  I think it is Dakotaraptor.  

• I found this Informative 3

47 minutes ago, Captcrunch227 said:

IMG_6971.JPG

I think Dakotaraptor. This picture helps because you can see both serrations. However, for a more positive ID, try getting photos of it straight on from no angle.

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like a Nanotyrannus serrations look pretty similar on both sides.  Kind of fat for a dromaeosaurid.  Denticle shape is that of a Tyrannosaurid.  Troodons post showed very thin and long for Dakotaraptor 

• I found this Informative 4

hi, you need to get a serration count on both sides per 5mm to be certain.
From the pictures provided the denticles on both sides seem similar sized - suggesting Nano.

5 minutes ago, jpc said:

does nano have the pinched base we see in the first photo?  

yes, usually even more pronounced

• I found this Informative 1

Turns out it was sold out from under me anyways, but with the lack of consensus on this tooth I'm glad I posted here before snagging it. 

Thanks for the help everyone. 

I would also agree with Dakotaraptor based on the pics. I have one from the Lance fm. with a similar pinch at the base and more pronounced serrations on the back of the tooth.

Sorry about it being sold before you could get it.

Like bones, identifying isolated teeth really is not an easy task, especially when you are not with the tooth and therefore it is not possible to take pictures from better angles, because it is precisely in the shape and the serrations of the tooth that are the answers, since at least we managed to skip a big step, since the locality where the tooth was discovered is known.

The size of the tooth is compatible with Dakotaraptor, but the Dakotaraptor is a Dromaeosaurid, and therefore the outer curve serrations need to be much smaller than the inner curve, and this is not what I'm seeing here, where the serrations are practically the same size:

image.png.3acb39384cc293d0d584bed372c80df4.png

In addition, the peak of the tooth is quite robust to be Dromaeosaurid:

image.png.a4192702088ec11686f613c60e0253c3.png

And to finish, the ends of the Dakotaraptor's denticle are rounded, and is not what we see here. What I am seeing here are denticles with chisel, that is, with rectangular shape, which is proper of a Tyrannosaurid:

image.png.da1abc9ceae08a393cefefab2c2c2255.png

I do not blame the seller. Without the study of scientific publications available about the the Hell Creek Formation, Upper Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous, actually the teeth of Nanotyrannus and dakotaraptor are quite similar, but in this case here, the buyer took a Nanotyrannus tooth to his house.

But it is important to note that there are indeterminate theropods in Hell Creek, which may also be the case here without better pictures. :dinothumb:

image.thumb.png.9457fd8b5ef75e18da52e0e283433fb1.png

• I found this Informative 7

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I bought this tooth and should receive it in the mail today. A friend, who’s a very well-respected TFF member, showed me the tooth online and said it looked to be a Dakotaraptor tooth at first glance, pending serration count. I agreed that it had the classic Dakotaraptor tooth shape, so I decided to take a risk on it. I’ll count serrations today when I get it and report back to you all. Fingers crossed...

• I found this Informative 2

38 minutes ago, mburkett said:

Got the tooth. Unfortunately the tooth is nanotyrannus. Denticles are 15/5mm midline

This is what I call a typical tooth from Hell Creek Formation! B)

As per my previous post, through typical morphology, I was confident enough to suspect of a Nanotyrannus tooth. And now came the final proof with the counting of the serrations. But do not be discouraged! A Nanotyrannus Tooth is a dream for any collector in the world! I myself do not have any Tyrannosaurid teeth in my collection, so smile, it's a happy day! After all Nanotyrannus was a fearsome Tyrannosaurid! :D

image.png.6a302299c58b439c5b560dde33434d80.png

• I found this Informative 3

03.PNG

Not discouraged at all. The seller is a good guy who I’ve bought from in the past and will continue buying from. He’s refunding the purchase. Although it’s a nice tooth, I’m really only looking for dromaeosaurid teeth right now, and Dakotaraptor teeth have proven to be a rare commodity. It looked enough like one at first glance, but serration count will always tell the truth :)

On 05/01/2019 at 4:08 PM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Like bones, identifying isolated teeth really is not an easy task, especially when you are not with the tooth and therefore it is not possible to take pictures from better angles, because it is precisely in the shape and the serrations of the tooth that are the answers, since at least we managed to skip a big step, since the locality where the tooth was discovered is known.

The size of the tooth is compatible with Dakotaraptor, but the Dakotaraptor is a Dromaeosaurid, and therefore the outer curve serrations need to be much smaller than the inner curve, and this is not what I'm seeing here, where the serrations are practically the same size:

image.png.3acb39384cc293d0d584bed372c80df4.png

In addition, the peak of the tooth is quite robust to be Dromaeosaurid:

image.png.a4192702088ec11686f613c60e0253c3.png

And to finish, the ends of the Dakotaraptor's denticle are rounded, and is not what we see here. What I am seeing here are denticles with chisel, that is, with rectangular shape, which is proper of a Tyrannosaurid:

image.png.da1abc9ceae08a393cefefab2c2c2255.png

I do not blame the seller. Without the study of scientific publications available about the the Hell Creek Formation, Upper Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous, actually the teeth of Nanotyrannus and dakotaraptor are quite similar, but in this case here, the buyer took a Nanotyrannus tooth to his house.

But it is important to note that there are indeterminate theropods in Hell Creek, which may also be the case here without better pictures. :dinothumb:

image.thumb.png.9457fd8b5ef75e18da52e0e283433fb1.png

This is very important sir and echoes my exact thoughts. Recently I have been researching on how to properly ID it as such and I agree with your observations. Thanks also for labelling the images it is very helpful for myself and other users on the forum to visualise what you are talking about.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

8 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

This is very important sir and echoes my exact thoughts. Recently I have been researching on how to properly ID it as such and I agree with your observations. Thanks also for labelling the images it is very helpful for myself and other users on the forum to visualise what you are talking about.

Thank you, my dear friend Jaimin013! But you do not have to call me Sir, you can just call me friend! Yes, it is quite difficult to try to identify a tooth only for images, but if the image is of good quality, from different angles, as was the case here, it is easier to try to help. And I always try to provide images so that the other members can see what I'm seeing. Huge hug! :D

03.PNG