Tucson show questions

Anomotodon

I am thinking of attending a Tucson fossil show this year. Could someone please share recommendations as to which days/which shows would be the best to attend? (I can be there for 2 days max) My primary interests are reptiles, dinosaurs and sharks.

The Tooth Fairy

From what I've heard from other members it's best to attend at the beginning of the show which looks like it's the 31st of January.

It would be good if you could get your hands on the show catalog for the fossils.  It has all the show scheduled, as they don't all run at the exact time.

Some start earlier than others.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I know a lot of the dealers trade amongst themselves and everybody is different so It certainly couldn't hurt to ask.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 1/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, Anomotodon said:

Thanks for replies @michele 1937, @TyBoy and @caldigger! Do you know by any chance how open are dealers there to trading?

There should be several shark tooth dealers at the Ramada.  A few of them will be open to trading.  You've shown some nice stuff from Ukraine.  There will be interest in that especially anything unusual (rare species, unusually large specimens of common species, etc.).

Jess

It depends on what you're looking for.  One of a kind high end fossils are best found at the opening of the show and can be gone within an hour of the show opening.  More common fossils are best bought at the end of the show when dealers want to get rid of their inventory rather than to pay to ship them home so you get the best deals on what's left.  Weekends are the busiest.  It will be hard to see all the fossil venues in two days as they're only open from 10-6 on average.  22nd street show and HTCC Ball Room open on 1/31. Ramada and HTCC Main show open on 2/2.  The co-op should be open around 1/31.  Those are the main fossil venues.  If you only have two days walk quickly through the 22nd street show, it can be done in about two hours and then the Ramada  for the rest of the day.  Hotel Tucson City Center takes more time and should be a full day.  If you have time left go to the co-op to see some amazing high end fossils.  If you have another day wander around Kino (Electric Park) for some fossil dealers mixed in with mostly mineral dealers.

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

It depends on what you're looking for.  One of a kind high end fossils are best found at the opening of the show and can be gone within an hour of the show opening.  More common fossils are best bought at the end of the show when dealers want to get rid of their inventory rather than to pay to ship them home so you get the best deals on what's left.  Weekends are the busiest.  It will be hard to see all the fossil venues in two days as they're only open from 10-6 on average.  22nd street show and HTCC Ball Room open on 1/31. Ramada and HTCC Main show open on 2/2.  The co-op should be open around 1/31.  Those are the main fossil venues.  If you only have two days walk quickly through the 22nd street show, it can be done in about two hours and then the Ramada  for the rest of the day.  Hotel Tucson City Center takes more time and should be a full day.  If you have time left go to the co-op to see some amazing high end fossils.  If you have another day wander around Kino (Electric Park) for some fossil dealers mixed in with mostly mineral dealers.

Yeah, the last time I went the Tucson shows was three years ago.  I was there only two days and I didn't see everything I wanted to see and I knew what I was doing (been going there since the late 80's).  In my case I'd run into old friends and end up missing my ride.  Don't get caught missing that last shuttle if you don't have your own car.

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

The show actually went extremely successful for me, I was able to trade most of my Ukrainian material for dinosaur specimens, exactly what I was looking for

Rib & 2 Hadrosaur teeth (Gryposaurus in matrix and a rooted Hadrosauridae indet.) from Two Medicine formation, verts with neural spines - Edmontosaurus annectens from Hell Creek, on the right - sauropod & ichthyosaur vertebrae from UK, some French dino teeth and tons of teeth from Aguja formation, Texas

image.png.bf678f81af53db3bc2e7616d6dbe5840.png

Aguja material - tyrannosaurs, raptors, hadrosaurs, ankylosaurs, ceratopsians and ?ornithomimid phalange

image.png.83aee3babba57b67b071521b1dcb37d4.png

French theropods from Chevres

image.png.34ea44023597acc8db5f86e7f1476d27.png

• I found this Informative 3

The Tooth Fairy

Wow! 

You did pretty well there! 

Congratulations on those super pieces.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's great to hear you got what you were after and kept your arm and leg intact. ;)

I really want to go back some time, but schedules just never seem to work out for me the last few years.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hi,

6 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

The good name is "Cherves" ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 2/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, Anomotodon said:

The show actually went extremely successful for me, I was able to trade most of my Ukrainian material for dinosaur specimens, exactly what I was looking for

Rib & 2 Hadrosaur teeth (Gryposaurus in matrix and a rooted Hadrosauridae indet.) from Two Medicine formation, verts with neural spines - Edmontosaurus annectens from Hell Creek, on the right - sauropod & ichthyosaur vertebrae from UK, some French dino teeth and tons of teeth from Aguja formation, Texas

image.png.bf678f81af53db3bc2e7616d6dbe5840.png

Aguja material - tyrannosaurs, raptors, hadrosaurs, ankylosaurs, ceratopsians and ?ornithomimid phalange

image.png.83aee3babba57b67b071521b1dcb37d4.png

Wow, what did you bring to trade?