The Jersey Devil

NJ Cretaceous? Pyrite

The Jersey Devil

Hi everyone,

I know it is possible to find teeth with pyrite attached to them in the Jersey brooks (which yield mostly Cretaceous material). I have never seen just a chunk of pyrite come out of here before, however.

The pyrite piece below is from a NJ stream - would you say it is in fact from one of the Cretaceous formations present here? It is about 1 inch.

Thanks for any opinions!

65009606-BD5B-4F8B-B9F4-F7BF3E2E7B57.jpeg

9890F31B-DDE1-46BE-8CDB-00C44C79157B.jpeg

CFDCB6B7-9F64-46DA-A9D4-4D55426DB63C.jpeg

Ludwigia

Pyrite can be found in rocks from practically all geological epochs, so the chance are pretty good that this is cretaceous.

Rockwood

Pyrite like this is often associated with lignite which is also in the brooks.

Darktooth
1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Pyrite like this is often associated with lignite which is also in the brooks.

When I was hunting with Frank back in October I found  some fossilized wood with pyrite running through it. Frank said that pieces are found from time to time. Is seems to deteriorate  rather quickly.

Rockwood
6 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Is seems to deteriorate  rather quickly.

Yes. It's likely that both the wood and the pyrite need to be stabilized. 

The Jersey Devil
3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

When I was hunting with Frank back in October I found  some fossilized wood with pyrite running through it. Frank said that pieces are found from time to time. Is seems to deteriorate  rather quickly.

Yeah, the pyrite that is found with the wood attached is fragile. This pyrite is sort of strange and is like a solid chunk that you’d expect to see in a mineral shop.

frankh8147
17 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I would actually be pretty comfortable calling it Cretaceous pyrite. Pyrite comes in a lot of forms here. Here is a new one from the brooks.

As per it deteriorating - for some reason, some pieces do, some pieces don't. I'm always looking to learn more on pyrite preservation..

pyrite.jpg

pyrite2.jpg

The Jersey Devil
1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

I would actually be pretty comfortable calling it Cretaceous pyrite. Pyrite comes in a lot of forms here. Here is a new one from the brooks.

As per it deteriorating - for some reason, some pieces do, some pieces don't. I'm always looking to learn more on pyrite preservation..

pyrite.jpg

pyrite2.jpg

Are those mostly Big Brook?

frankh8147

The pyrite ones (middle), the others are either from Big Brook or Willow Brook. 

I'm really hoping the pyrite ones (middle first picture and second picture) stand the test of time but I guess we'll see.