Fossil Hunting Locations

Randomguy1

Hey all! Im kind of new to fossil hunting, but in the 4 months I've been obsessed with it and have amassed a fair collection of local byrozoans, brachiopods, bivalves, and crinoids. But recently Ive been kind of short of fossil rich places and was wondering if you guys could give me some great locations within like 20ish minutes of Overland Park. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

I suggest getting a geological map and a county road map and take a drive. People typically do not just give out their sites to some "Random guy" they've never met before lol. Finding sites takes a lot of resources, (time, money, research...etc). In some cases we even pay for journal access which also adds to the cost. 

http://donaldkenney.x10.mx/STATES/KS.HTM

This link might help you get started. The information contained there in is old and in some cases access might no longer be available. I also suggest joining a local rock or fossil club. Most clubs take fieldtrips to sites and quarries you might not have access to as the general public. You can also use google earth as a tool. 

I hope this helps.

• I found this Informative 6

...I'm back.

Welcome to TFF!

6 hours ago, Randomguy1 said:

in the 4 months I've been obsessed with it and have amassed a fair collection of local byrozoans, brachiopods, bivalves, and crinoids.

So you were doing really good! Would you mind showing us some of your finds?

6 hours ago, Randomguy1 said:

recently Ive been kind of short of fossil rich places

Have you taken all the fossils from the sites you have already visited?? :headscratch:;)

Finding new sites is at least half of the fun of the "business" of fossil collecting!

Follow the advices of @Raggedy Man, and you will be happy again. And if you don´t find a new spot every time you are out, there is always the possiblity to go back to a already known site, most of the times you will find something new there. That would be merit of experience.

Happy hunting - for sites and fossils!
Franz Bernhard

15 hours ago, Randomguy1 said:

these are most of and the best of my collection. Check it out!

I did!! Thanks for sharing, very nice documentation, and already a very nice collection (4 months!!).

The oysters seem strange, look more like Cretaceous inoceramids to me, but I am not sure.

@Innocentx, do you have experience with this area?

@Tidgy's Dad, some Kansas brachs there :):

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1c9audycmGOHZENQjRdXumQot-0HE2oMJBl39AZoU5qM/edit?usp=sharing

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

I did!! Thanks for sharing, very nice documentation, and already a very nice collection (4 months!!).

The oysters seem strange, look more like Cretaceous inoceramids to me, but I am not sure.

@Tidgy's Dad, some Kansas brachs there :):

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1c9audycmGOHZENQjRdXumQot-0HE2oMJBl39AZoU5qM/edit?usp=sharing

Franz Bernhard

Yummy! :drool:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

My fossil experiences around KC are just dreams I have when we're driving by drool worthy exposures at 80 mph on the interstate.

The guy you want to talk to is @Missourian. I believe this man knows almost everything fossil about that area.

@Randomguy1 Nice fossils in your link. Just remember next time TFF likes photos posted onsite, not in link. :)

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs