50 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Ok echoing what others have said firstly the egg has no cracks in the shell, that's an immediate alarm bell even more modern fossil eggs in perfect condition have some form of cracking now from a distance it could almost look like it has some but no there is no separate pieces of shell just continues.

Second issue why is there mud on the top of the egg? Yeah they can be found in this type of matrix but it's missing something very important... the calcite layer this is what you see after you remove the matrix there is normally on most eggs a white layer of calcite mineral.

Third and finally zoom in on the images look closely and spot the little air holes indicating it's actually a cast.  

Yupp, exactly that hits the point IMO.:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am in agreement with the others @MarcoX, and fairly confident this is a cast. I do want to add with @aeon.rocks and @Haravex , the air pockets clearly present now, if there during the fossilization process or any point shortly after would be weak points for cracks to propagate from. That said, almost none of the air pockets visible in the pics have cracks which is, as such, a red flag. Not a bad cast and if sold as a replica, it could be worth considering.

Edited by CBchiefski
Clarity
  • I found this Informative 1