More skull fragments found in a shoe box

Kenzicocapontas

Back again guys!

I wanted to thank you all again for your help in ID'ing the Oreodont skull that my Grandmother gave me when I was a child. Thanks to everyone's help I was able to secure the two halves together and will hopefully be able to get it mounted, but honestly its great as it is. You guys are freakin' awesome.

And on to more good news! I found another shoe box that we were literally going to throw in the dumpster, opened it up to find (you guessed it, especially if you read the title) more skull/jaw parts! One looks maybe like a carnivore/omnivore? And the other maybe a lower jaw bone of a herbivore? No clue, so I thought I'd ask you experts! The first looks like she had more of the top of the skull from residue from resin or glue, but I didn't find anything that would attach to it. Its about three and a half inches long and about the same in width judging by whats left of the orbitals area.

Resized952019010595101628956997.thumb.jpg.b024871eea82bcaaad5f4e2d9943aa50.jpg

Resized952019010595101613959830.jpg

Resized952019010595101659954080.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I believe the partial skull is probably oreodont based on the teeth. I know it might appear to be a carnivore but I'm pretty sure some species have pronounced canines.

I think Oreodont too. Have you got any pictures of the glued skull . I glad it went well. Cheers Bobby 

It looks to be the lower jaw of an oreodont. If you are the same person who found the oreodont skull in your grandmother's stuff--this COULD be the jaw associated with that skull.You can check that out pretty quickly-- even tho  both items are damaged , if they are associated, you should be able to tell by the "fit".

The lower jaws of animals separate easily from the skull after death, and , if found at all, may be found a distance from the skull.  The jaws are found much more frequently than the skulls, and most of the time , they are found separated at the mentem (the point of attachment in the front of the jaw).Half lower jaws are common.

Oreodonts are very commonly found fossils, and there are several varieties. They were grazing animals--herbivores--and commonly preyed upon---most I've found have had predator kill-bites to the skulls. 

Oreodonts do have impressive canines , but they were plant eaters-- the molars are the clue. Your jaw has molars well ground down-- therefore, an older animal, and probably easy prey.