MikeR

North Carolina Mosasaur Tooth

MikeR

I have decided to take a break from shells and delve into the vertebrate world for awhile.  In going through several trips worth of North Carolina Cretaceous material, I came across this incomplete tooth which I believe is from a mosasaur.  Reading through prior posts I know how difficult they are to identify but I am hoping that there are enough distinguishing characteristics to be able to identify by genus.  The size of the tooth is 12 mm x 12 mm x 6 mm.  I took pictures with my iphone so if the consensus is better quality pics are needed, I'll drag out the DSLR.

5c30e35444e9e_mosasaur1.thumb.jpg.f5993fe157eec2375f575970dd99572f.jpg 5c30e354bcb36_mosasaur2.thumb.jpg.d324694ea63425a4e5d45067bef52ff8.jpg 5c30e35532cb8_mosasaur3.thumb.jpg.05f80f2e2ac5d51c294ad2b7e4b1554d.jpg 5c30e355b2b04_mosasaur4.thumb.jpg.45475cf262841b21b546ae9969aeb8ee.jpg

SailingAlongToo

@MikeR

It's either Mosasaur or Deinosuchus. I will send your photos to Todd, though @sixgill pete may also be able to help.

SailingAlongToo

Oh, and thanks for coming over to the "dark side!"

sixgill pete

I'm not really sure about this one. I have a very similar piece of a tooth that is probably from the same location. Only it is the tip section. A few people have looked at it and suggested some type of fish. I still believe it is mosasaur.

MikeR
9 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@MikeR

It's either Mosasaur or Deinosuchus. I will send your photos to Todd, though @sixgill pete may also be able to help.

Thanks Jack.  I would be surprised if it was Deinosuchus.  I have a quite a few and they are all conical whereas this tooth is quite oval and small.

Mike

MikeR
11 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Oh, and thanks for coming over to the "dark side!"

Jack, I am your father!

MikeR
8 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

I'm not really sure about this one. I have a very similar piece of a tooth that is probably from the same location. Only it is the tip section. A few people have looked at it and suggested some type of fish. I still believe it is mosasaur.

Thanks Don.  I would surprised if this was fish as well but I don't know what I don't know.  

SailingAlongToo
5 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Thanks Don.  I would surprised if this was fish as well but I don't know what I don't know.  

Admitting you "don't know" is the 1st step to enlightenment. It's much better than the people who don't know they don't know and think they know everything. :headscratch:

Ramo

Mosasaur teeth do not have all those ridges running down them.  They are pretty smooth except for a single, slight ridge.  On the other hand, plesiosaur teeth do look a lot like the tooth you are showing.  If I had to guess, I'd call that plesiosaur.

JohnBrewer

I think mossy too :) 

non-remanié

Mosasaur of some sort.   Heavily faceted.  

Al Dente

Here’s a faceted one from Greens Mill Run in Greenville NC. I don’t know the genus.

7DD48C95-02E3-414E-BA52-974914EA832C.jpeg

SailingAlongToo
50 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Here’s a faceted one from Greens Mill Run in Greenville NC. I don’t know the genus.

Gorgeous! 

siteseer

Hi Al Dente,

Someone talked about Platycarpus elsewhere on the forum recently.  I believe he noted that a researcher was at least leaning against Platycarpus being present in the Maastrichtian of Morocco, and suggested another genus.

Jess

Max-fossils
On 1/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, MikeR said:

I have decided to take a break from shells

How dare you?! :faint::ank:

Nice find though, well done!

Plax

can we have a straight on shot of the basal cavity? Also am thinking that some of the pterygoid teeth may be more ornate than the jaw teeth. (not sure on this though)

Coco
On 07/01/2019 at 12:20 PM, Max-fossils said:

I am OK with you Max ! :o :rofl:

Coco

MikeR
On 1/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, Plax said:

can we have a straight on shot of the basal cavity? Also am thinking that some of the pterygoid teeth may be more ornate than the jaw teeth. (not sure on this though)

Thanks for looking Don.  I hope that this image is not too blurry.

IMG_0488.JPG

MikeR
On 1/7/2019 at 6:20 AM, Max-fossils said:

Don't worry.  It's only temporary.

Plax

I'm in the mosasaur camp! That elliptical basal cavity is a good clue.

Max-fossils
On 1/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, MikeR said:

Don't worry.  It's only temporary.

Phew :P 

Ramo

I'm sticking with the pleisosaur camp!!