Some pictures from the NHM Berlin

Max-fossils

Hi everyone,

A couple days ago, during my stay in Berlin, I got to visit a very famous museum. The Natural History Museum of Berlin, of course!

The expo's are amazing. I took so many pictures of everything! I'll only show a handful though, because I don't want to spoil the whole thing in case one of you has the opportunity to visit it. These are just some tasters to make you want to go there!

Enjoy the quick virtual tour!

Max

IMG_2384.thumb.JPG.4b176d58676e23c745e5ed878bcb18ca.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_2385.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IHWI2388.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

Max Derème

AHZP5201.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

HGPU5073.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Max Derème

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Max Derème

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

Max Derème

PJNP3827.JPG

FDAV9893.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

Max Derème

And the last one specimen I will show. The most important fossil ever found. I was truly humbled to have seen this one, really breathtaking specimen!

WELF4180.thumb.JPG.70053d632773fe129866d8c9f4ed8418.JPG

DGIJ8485.thumb.JPG.193d922e5258396b5e212b2243c97d16.JPG

As I said, I took a lot of photos. But I will purposefully not show most of them, as I don't want to spoil the whole museum. These are still some of the best, and hopefully they will make you very eager to visit this formidable museum! If you're in the area it is definitely worth visiting!

• I found this Informative 5

Max Derème

Wonderful museum! :)

Some breathtaking exhibits.

Thanks for sharing, Max. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

17 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful museum! :)

Some breathtaking exhibits.

Thanks for sharing, Max. 

Glad you enjoyed Adam! 

Max Derème

Ha!  For a second there when I first glanced at the picture,  I thought this was going to be a "Certificate of Authenticity" for the Brachiosaur!  :rofl:

20190106_213202.png

Is the huge ammonite on the wall under the picture of the Hippos a fiberglass cast or the real thing? 

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

Is the huge ammonite on the wall under the picture of the Hippos a fiberglass cast or the real thing? 

Its a cast of the largest ammonite ever found. Its from the german Upper Cretaceous, the original is shown in Natural History Museum in Münster in Germany.

I think it is real. Not sure though. 

It was on the wall behind some kind of reception/info point, so you couldn't see the thing from up close. 

Max Derème

1 minute ago, Johannes said:

Its a cast of the largest ammonite ever found. Its from the german Upper Cretaceous, the original is shown in Natural History Museum in Münster in Germany.

@caldigger ah, well there you have it :) 

Max Derème

Ha!  For a second there when I first glanced at the picture,  I thought this was going to be a "Certificate of Authenticity" for the Brachiosaur!  :rofl:

Those scrupulous fossil dealers haven't (yet) come to the museums to spread their dark practices :ninja: 

(Then again, it is common for museums to include those worthless certificates with the fossils they sell in their gift shops...)

Max Derème

28 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Original

1 minute ago, Johannes said:

That must be it. It's hard to see on my photo, but on the cast there was indeed that bivalve fossil (which must also be a cast) near the mouth opening. You can see it much better in your link. Thanks!

Max Derème

I was going to say, the weight of that thing to try and hang on the wall would be a nightmare to support.

Good detective work Johannes!

36 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I was going to say, the weight of that thing to try and hang on the wall would be a nightmare to support.

Good detective work Johannes!

Hadn't thought of that, good point Doren

Max Derème