New toy - microscope

JohnBrewer

WOW ! !

That was a worthwhile investment. 

The detail shown here is astonishing! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Awesome. My jaw is melting with jeolousy. Did the scope come with an imaging device or are you using your own camera? In either case, your photographic experience shows! I want a toy too!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Simply amazing! :fistbump:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Wow nice pics! Does the scale bar automatically adjust to the zoom?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

It’s one of these but with a 3mp camera https://www.amscope.com/compound-microscopes/brightfield/40x-2500x-led-digital-binocular-compound-microscope-with-3d-stage-usb-camera.html The camera came with stacking software. These images were taken at the lowest magnification, a 4x objective. I want less power for larger inclusions so will look for a 1x or 2x objective. 

• I found this Informative 4

2 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Wow nice pics! Does the scale bar automatically adjust to the zoom?

The scale bar is a part of the included software but annoyingly does export with the image. What I’ve done is make a screenshot, overlaid on the high def image and erased the low def image bar the bar. 

Wonderful photography, John! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

John, I would have expected you to have done this on tintype photographs. ;)

Very nice none the less, :dinothumb: great job!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

30 minutes ago, caldigger said:

John, I would have expected you to have done this on tintype photographs. ;)

Very nice none the less, :dinothumb: great job!

My previous intern, Martina, used a microscope to make tintypes for her undergrad degree last year. It was a technical nightmare. For those that understand photography, tintype emulsion has an ISO (ASA) of around 1. Bellows extension and a small aperture made life very difficult particularly as the emulsion needs to be wet from exposure to processing, which, with such long exposures made it extremely challenging  :) 

Here is Martina with some of her scanned and enlarged images at her graduation exhibition using the tintype wet plate collodion technique.

614AB2E0-FBAD-4BEB-B5FD-48232CBA4DFD.thumb.jpeg.aeb5c52de92ba808bce792d5732979d2.jpeg

John very nice- I just bought something from them yesterday and should have it in a week. I wanted something that can take nice pics but in the 3-5 times range. I already have a binocular microscope with a separate dual fiber optic. I wish you well and hope that mine will do what I want. Below is a pic-

BFA16659-E341-44E7-A185-C4D0A5C7EB8B.thumb.jpeg.3e7b51f2a6777a7ad3610af59b4616f9.jpeg

I am very impressed!  Amscope seems to make excellent microscopes and of course you know how to make great photographs.  Just curious, I was expecting to see that you had bought a stereo microscope but it looks like you bought a compound microscope.  What will you mainly be using it for?

18 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I am very impressed!  Amscope seems to make excellent microscopes and of course you know how to make great photographs.  Just curious, I was expecting to see that you had bought a stereo microscope but it looks like you bought a compound microscope.  What will you mainly be using it for?

Mostly playing around with Violet :)  I’m tempted now to buy a stereo microscope for prep work and looking at amber inclusions. It seems Amscope make a few that will take the camera I already have.