Day of the Sandtigers: Second Symphyseal? 1/5/19

FossilsAnonymous

Hello all, I hope you are having a fossiliferous New Year.

To kick ours off, MomAnonymous and I went off to Brownies to check out the beach. It seems I really do need waders as I was unable to round the point even at low tide. We met @sharkdoctor on the point who had found an amazing bird bone in zone 10. We chatted for a bit, and he gave me a lot of information that could prove very helpful, and even invited me to a group hunt at Blue Banks. What a generous man. I get good luck when meeting other collectors! We putted around for a bit, finding some really nice sand tigers at one point and a lot of other, small teeth. Then we went to the bridge, where MomAnonymous found another symphyseal Physogaleus in the exact same spot as before! In all we got 137 small teeth.

Not the best of days, but not horrible either.

@Littlefoot @racerzeke @ShoreThing @WhodamanHD

• I found this Informative 5

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

IMG_3695.thumb.jpg.df86b28fcace6c35d8ac11b5d0c68e55.jpg

Some of the nicer Sand Tigers

IMG_3698.thumb.jpg.777c038edccdea78a874424976b04e5a.jpg

Symphyseal #2

• I found this Informative 3

IMG_3688.thumb.jpg.f4e79b7afdb89a7fea3cec00a2a4430b.jpg

In Situ of the biggest Sand Tiger

• I found this Informative 5

IMG_3686.thumb.jpg.dc9b29375a091721f39ba29857063d1e.jpg

Me looking none to hard for the small buggers

• I found this Informative 2

IMG_3684.thumb.jpg.b51d0f3a8578700532cbe1a95f0fe931.jpg

IMG_3685.thumb.jpg.a1c646fcdf024944e846bf0b0d9c5074.jpg

When you have scenery like this, though, the day gets even better.

Thank you for looking,

FA

• I found this Informative 6

Looks as if your wave action was behaving for you as well.  Nice show of teeth!

Just now, caldigger said:

Looks as if your wave action was behaving for you as well.  Nice show of teeth!

Thank you.. It is certainly a very rare occurrence.

Nice Symph! Glad you had a good hunt!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice report and finds! 

MomAnonymous, ha de ha!:D 

Thought I may as well call her something.....:)

Nice teeth! That’s some big gnarly driftwood. I like the black of this one

IMG_3688.jpg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Nice little haul of Sandtigers. The small tooth with the stubby blade in the first pic, resembles the small thresher teeth found from the area.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

8 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice little haul of Sandtigers. The small tooth with the stubby blade in the first pic, resembles the small thresher teeth found from the area.

I agree, doesn’t look like it has a prominent nutrient grove so likely Alopias latidens

• I found this Informative 4

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD @Darktooth

thank you for iding. I thought it looked different so I just lumped it in with the sand tigers but I had no idea it was a thresher. Thanks!

Thank you so much for sharing! I especially love the photo of the driftwood! Even if you walk out with no teeth, it's so a beautiful location to visit! Still, 137 is quite the haul of teeth!

Do you plan to get waders at some point and make it around the bend?

Looks like you two had a great day, despite not being able to make it around the point. Your experience shows that there are fossils everywhere along the beach and that if you look hard enough then you can find many. Great work with an eagle eye! I can't wait to see what you find next!

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Nice haul.

I hope you can make it around the point some time. I was able to go once while in Maryland for a conference. I found all the ray, turtle and porpoise material around the bend. Most of the teeth I found were before the bend. 

It was warm enough for me to wade around the bend. The tide was out all the way, but the water was 18 inches deep still.

Nice finds! I was there just before sunrise on the same day and finally got the opportunity to try out my brand new waders, so I was thankfully able to round the corner. Trip report coming soon. That area near the bridge seems to be a gold mine for symphyseals for some reason; my dad recently found a perfect Notorhynchus symphyseal not too far from it. Anyway, not sure if I ran into you at any point, but glad you got some decent teeth despite not being able to wade past the cove. Hoppe hunting!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Great finds!

That Alopias latidens is awesome. Good job :dinothumb: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

18 hours ago, Littlefoot said:

Thank you so much for sharing! I especially love the photo of the driftwood! Even if you walk out with no teeth, it's so a beautiful location to visit! Still, 137 is quite the haul of teeth!

Do you plan to get waders at some point and make it around the bend?

16 hours ago, ShoreThing said:

Looks like you two had a great day, despite not being able to make it around the point. Your experience shows that there are fossils everywhere along the beach and that if you look hard enough then you can find many. Great work with an eagle eye! I can't wait to see what you find next!

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Great finds!

That Alopias latidens is awesome. Good job :dinothumb: 

8 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

Nice finds! I was there just before sunrise on the same day and finally got the opportunity to try out my brand new waders, so I was thankfully able to round the corner. Trip report coming soon. That area near the bridge seems to be a gold mine for symphyseals for some reason; my dad recently found a perfect Notorhynchus symphyseal not too far from it. Anyway, not sure if I ran into you at any point, but glad you got some decent teeth despite not being able to wade past the cove. Hoppe hunting!

16 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Nice haul.

I hope you can make it around the point some time. I was able to go once while in Maryland for a conference. I found all the ray, turtle and porpoise material around the bend. Most of the teeth I found were before the bend. 

It was warm enough for me to wade around the bend. The tide was out all the way, but the water was 18 inches deep still.

Thanks all. Waders are definely going to be bought.

One should not underestimate what you may find without going "around the bend" which for those who are not familiar that is what pic #6 shows. In that small cove I have found a couple small posterior megs, the biggest and nicest shark vert that I ever found, a cetacean jaw with teeth sticking out of the cliffs (which due to laws about digging into the cliffs I only plucked the teeth out with my fingers) plus other goodies. And most of these things were found on my way out and were passed by many hunters who are in such a hurry to make it around  the bend they don't even start looking before that.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

On 1/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Darktooth said:

One should not underestimate what you may find without going "around the bend" which for those who are not familiar that is what pic #6 shows. In that small cove I have found a couple small posterior megs, the biggest and nicest shark vert that I ever found, a cetacean jaw with teeth sticking out of the cliffs (which due to laws about digging into the cliffs I only plucked the teeth out with my fingers) plus other goodies. And most of these things were found on my way out and were passed by many hunters who are in such a hurry to make it around  the bend they don't even start looking before that.

Yes! I totally agree with this. I know that the very few times I have went, I was in such a hurry to make it around the bend that I didn't spend time looking in the cove. I imagine that in the off season many others do the same, so it may be a spot worth checking out with some care.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

10 hours ago, ShoreThing said:

Yes! I totally agree with this. I know that the very few times I have went, I was in such a hurry to make it around the bend that I didn't spend time looking in the cove. I imagine that in the off season many others do the same, so it may be a spot worth checking out with some care.

I have been guilty of this myself in the past. Mostly because when I get there it is barely light out and searching with a flashlight or headlamp is a pain in the trilo-butt. Which is why I said most of those finds where on my way out. But one time I did slow down and searched it pretty good upon arriving and that is when I found one tiny posterior meg.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg