Jump to content
FossilsAnonymous

Day of the Sandtigers: Second Symphyseal? 1/5/19

Recommended Posts

FossilsAnonymous

IMG_3695.thumb.jpg.df86b28fcace6c35d8ac11b5d0c68e55.jpg

Some of the nicer Sand Tigers

IMG_3698.thumb.jpg.777c038edccdea78a874424976b04e5a.jpg

Symphyseal #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous

IMG_3686.thumb.jpg.dc9b29375a091721f39ba29857063d1e.jpg

Me looking none to hard for the small buggers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

Looks as if your wave action was behaving for you as well.  Nice show of teeth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
Just now, caldigger said:

Looks as if your wave action was behaving for you as well.  Nice show of teeth!

Thank you.. It is certainly a very rare occurrence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

Nice Symph! Glad you had a good hunt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Nice report and finds! 

MomAnonymous, ha de ha!:D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice report and finds! 

MomAnonymous, ha de ha!:D 

Thought I may as well call her something.....:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UtahFossilHunter

Nice teeth! That’s some big gnarly driftwood. I like the black of this one

IMG_3688.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Nice little haul of Sandtigers. The small tooth with the stubby blade in the first pic, resembles the small thresher teeth found from the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous

@WhodamanHD @Darktooth

thank you for iding. I thought it looked different so I just lumped it in with the sand tigers but I had no idea it was a thresher. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angie

That symphyseal is very cool! Nice finds :) 137 teeth doesn't sound too shabby! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Littlefoot

Thank you so much for sharing! I especially love the photo of the driftwood! Even if you walk out with no teeth, it's so a beautiful location to visit! Still, 137 is quite the haul of teeth!

 

Do you plan to get waders at some point and make it around the bend?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShoreThing

Looks like you two had a great day, despite not being able to make it around the point. Your experience shows that there are fossils everywhere along the beach and that if you look hard enough then you can find many. Great work with an eagle eye! I can't wait to see what you find next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KimTexan

Nice haul.

I hope you can make it around the point some time. I was able to go once while in Maryland for a conference. I found all the ray, turtle and porpoise material around the bend. Most of the teeth I found were before the bend. 

It was warm enough for me to wade around the bend. The tide was out all the way, but the water was 18 inches deep still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoppeHunting

Nice finds! I was there just before sunrise on the same day and finally got the opportunity to try out my brand new waders, so I was thankfully able to round the corner. Trip report coming soon. That area near the bridge seems to be a gold mine for symphyseals for some reason; my dad recently found a perfect Notorhynchus symphyseal not too far from it. Anyway, not sure if I ran into you at any point, but glad you got some decent teeth despite not being able to wade past the cove. Hoppe hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils

Great finds!

That Alopias latidens is awesome. Good job :dinothumb: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilsAnonymous
18 hours ago, Littlefoot said:

Thank you so much for sharing! I especially love the photo of the driftwood! Even if you walk out with no teeth, it's so a beautiful location to visit! Still, 137 is quite the haul of teeth!

 

Do you plan to get waders at some point and make it around the bend?

 

 

16 hours ago, ShoreThing said:

Looks like you two had a great day, despite not being able to make it around the point. Your experience shows that there are fossils everywhere along the beach and that if you look hard enough then you can find many. Great work with an eagle eye! I can't wait to see what you find next!

 

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Great finds!

That Alopias latidens is awesome. Good job :dinothumb: 

 

8 hours ago, HoppeHunting said:

Nice finds! I was there just before sunrise on the same day and finally got the opportunity to try out my brand new waders, so I was thankfully able to round the corner. Trip report coming soon. That area near the bridge seems to be a gold mine for symphyseals for some reason; my dad recently found a perfect Notorhynchus symphyseal not too far from it. Anyway, not sure if I ran into you at any point, but glad you got some decent teeth despite not being able to wade past the cove. Hoppe hunting!

 

16 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Nice haul.

I hope you can make it around the point some time. I was able to go once while in Maryland for a conference. I found all the ray, turtle and porpoise material around the bend. Most of the teeth I found were before the bend. 

It was warm enough for me to wade around the bend. The tide was out all the way, but the water was 18 inches deep still.

Thanks all. Waders are definely going to be bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

One should not underestimate what you may find without going "around the bend" which for those who are not familiar that is what pic #6 shows. In that small cove I have found a couple small posterior megs, the biggest and nicest shark vert that I ever found, a cetacean jaw with teeth sticking out of the cliffs (which due to laws about digging into the cliffs I only plucked the teeth out with my fingers) plus other goodies. And most of these things were found on my way out and were passed by many hunters who are in such a hurry to make it around  the bend they don't even start looking before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcbshark

Nice finds and pics! :fistbump:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShoreThing
On 1/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Darktooth said:

One should not underestimate what you may find without going "around the bend" which for those who are not familiar that is what pic #6 shows. In that small cove I have found a couple small posterior megs, the biggest and nicest shark vert that I ever found, a cetacean jaw with teeth sticking out of the cliffs (which due to laws about digging into the cliffs I only plucked the teeth out with my fingers) plus other goodies. And most of these things were found on my way out and were passed by many hunters who are in such a hurry to make it around  the bend they don't even start looking before that.

Yes! I totally agree with this. I know that the very few times I have went, I was in such a hurry to make it around the bend that I didn't spend time looking in the cove. I imagine that in the off season many others do the same, so it may be a spot worth checking out with some care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth
10 hours ago, ShoreThing said:

Yes! I totally agree with this. I know that the very few times I have went, I was in such a hurry to make it around the bend that I didn't spend time looking in the cove. I imagine that in the off season many others do the same, so it may be a spot worth checking out with some care.

I have been guilty of this myself in the past. Mostly because when I get there it is barely light out and searching with a flashlight or headlamp is a pain in the trilo-butt. Which is why I said most of those finds where on my way out. But one time I did slow down and searched it pretty good upon arriving and that is when I found one tiny posterior meg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×