Peat Burns

14 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice finds Tony- I am going to try and get out there sometime this year, I would love to collect with you.

Would love to, Ralph.  We'll plan on it this field season.

14 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Great finds! I like the trilobites :trilo:

Thanks.  The one with the cephalon is huge and looks complete but partly disarticulated. I think I'm going to prep it out.  I think it will be a neat and unusual presentation. 

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice finds - I love inverts!!!  And I just discovered that Paulding, Ohio is about a 5.5 hour drive away from me - perhaps I'll try to make it out there sometime in the future (if my family would be up for a road trip!)  Thanks for sharing your little hunt with us :)

Thanks, Monica. I love inverts, too.  The photos don't do the fossils justice.  These are farm fresh.  They clean up beautifully (I am lazy and use KOH).  The Megastrophia are huge!  I may surprise some folks, but I think I like collecting inverts more than digging dinosaurs.  Hard to believe, I know.  Would love to meet you at Paulding when you come down if you're interested.  Perhaps we could even coordinate and have @Nimravis join us.  Bring low viscosity cyanoacrylate. To get a nice, big, complete Orthospirifer cooperi extracted and home, you need it.  

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Cool finds! Looks like a fun place to hunt. 

That cute pupper looks like the best fossil hunting partner anyone could ever have :wub: 

He's the best.  Getting old (10 years). Don't know what I'll do without him.

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

He's the best.  Getting old (10 years). Don't know what I'll do without him.

I feel you. My dog Stitch is 7 1/2 now, and his hair has greyed considerably since a couple years. He’s also quite less active and sleeps even more than usual. He’s aging quite fast :(  

I also have no clue what the house will be like without him; the few days that he’s not there (when we drop him off at his “holiday house” right before we go on our holidays) I feel it instantly. 

However I’m still remaining optimistic and estimating he still has a good handful of years to live (:fingerscrossed:)!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

58 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I feel you. My dog Stitch is 7 1/2 now, and his hair has greyed considerably since a couple years. He’s also quite less active and sleeps even more than usual. He’s aging quite fast :(  

I also have no clue what the house will be like without him; the few days that he’s not there (when we drop him off at his “holiday house” right before we go on our holidays) I feel it instantly. 

However I’m still remaining optimistic and estimating he still has a good handful of years to live (:fingerscrossed:)!

Here's hoping they both have long and healthy lives!

one of my favorite places, though I have never had such fine weather...always seems to be raining when I am there....could be cause I travel to Michigan in spring and fall, and try to hit Paulding on the way up or back...a little out of my way, since I hit the west coast of Michigan, but well worth the detour. 

16 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Here's hoping they both have long and healthy lives!

Indeed!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I started prepping the large, partially disarticulated trilobite.  I think it's going to make a very neat and unusual specimen.  I'm pretty sure someone else had seen this and tossed it.  One person's trash is another person's treasure!

Here's the fossil as found:

Resized_20190108_162315_6052.thumb.jpeg.4b3fd6f0c8b45af37e804bd18950538e.jpeg

Here it is after the first stage of prep.

Resized_20190108_161747_3511.thumb.jpeg.a713fd8bae06d5026c2cba2ed84fe251.jpeg

Resized_20190108_153245_1067.thumb.jpeg.df893ee393d61a6dbbedcb5965d9c802.jpeg

Resized_20190108_153015_28.thumb.jpeg.ff51a86d3a4ef3af797a648eafb2f836.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Looking good! :)

I wonder if the poor little thing got mashed up like that alive or after death. 

Bless. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It looks like it was a very difficult moult, like the trilobite got snagged on his way out from his old shell leaving this tattered husk behind. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looking good! :)

I wonder if the poor little thing got mashed up like that alive or after death. 

Bless. 

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

It looks like it was a very difficult moult, like the trilobite got snagged on his way out from his old shell leaving this tattered husk behind. 

One thing I found interesting is the segment circled here is bent upwards well above the height of the attached pygidium.

20190108_165215.thumb.jpg.eba84fd3106f975657d8bfc835e9b908.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

That is a very peculiar and interesting feature... I've encountered trilobites in just about every disarticulation imaginable, but never one quite like that! 

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

That is a very peculiar and interesting feature... I've encountered trilobites in just about every disarticulation imaginable, but never one quite like that! 

It made for an interesting challenge to prep it without breaking it off!

Just now, Peat Burns said:

It made for an interesting challenge to prep it without breaking it off!

Absolutely! I would have been very nervous without stabilizing it first! I'm thinking this likely occurred during ecdysis... Possibly the segment got turned up on a bit of rock as the trilobite was squirming its way out. 

@Tidgy's Dadmay be right.  This "bug" looks like it may have been munched on.  @Kanecan also still be correct.  It's certainly possible something tried to munch a molt.  First, here's progress on the prep:

Resized_20190109_150818_1275.thumb.jpeg.e55444dd2b9c930f87a45546eee26dd0.jpeg

Here's some of what I think are predation marks:

Resized_20190109_154157_4548.thumb.jpeg.1fc13f20566bfe92f8a416a5dc4c4cbd.jpeg

Resized_20190109_154045_3324.thumb.jpeg.af7e97e74b0b9d713cf336c0451c467c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Really nice prep work! :)

And you could well be right regarding the predation marks. 

Interesting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like You had a good day Tony- You found a lot of good pieces. The prep on the one is going quite nicely.

Looking forward to seeing what else is hidden in the rocks You collected.

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

how exciting to find a moment in time preserved for all that time....almost makes you want to bring a bag of popcorn and a soda and settle down to the show. 

On 1/13/2019 at 10:57 PM, ynot said:

Looks like You had a good day Tony- You found a lot of good pieces. The prep on the one is going quite nicely.

Looking forward to seeing what else is hidden in the rocks You collected.

Regards,

Tony

13 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

how exciting to find a moment in time preserved for all that time....almost makes you want to bring a bag of popcorn and a soda and settle down to the show. 

Thanks guys.  It's so awesome to have a place so close to home that I can really get to know well.  It makes finding new species and particularly well-preserved species a fun challenge.