First Green River fish prep

Fossil Claw

I bought this 18 inch layer in March of 2016 from Blake.  @FossilDudeCO

Finally felt comfortable enough with the air scribe and micro air abrader to tackle it.  looks like I might have found a bit of coprolite in there too.

Needs a little bit more final clean up work but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out for my first one.

IMG_20190105_171810.jpg

IMG_20190105_171810.thumb.jpg.e7b5f39b56d3427b33348b68ad839cfd.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Good work -- and especially for it being your first go at it. :dinothumb: Seems like you really made this one pop!

The possible coprolite is definitely an added bonus. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That looks great! 

Good job! :)

And hurrah for the coprolite! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The fish looks awesome!  You should be proud. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76::drool:

I just don't have the patience to do that type of detail work. Thank goodness my buddy @Daleksec will prep anything and everything for me, for a nominal fee of course.

That green ink scale cube from @aerogrower is quite the looker too!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

NIce work, Dom. Coprolites seem to be pretty common in that layer. The couple of slabs I got from Blake also had them. It's pretty cool uncovering a fish hiding in the rock, isn't it?!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

8 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

NIce work, Dom. Coprolites seem to be pretty common in that layer. The couple of slabs I got from Blake also had them. It's pretty cool uncovering a fish hiding in the rock, isn't it?!

Yes,now I need to do another one

Great job for a first prep. I've got one sitting around that I've been waiting to prep as well for the first time. I can only hope mine comes out close to as well as this one did.

That’s a good first prep @Fossil Claw. Don’t give up yet, there’s more caudal fin to be revealed under that matrix.

I circled bits I can see poking out in red and the lines approximate the extent of the caudal fin for reference. An unintended result is the face. :P

08247551-134D-420A-B3EB-E5D9669AEACB.thumb.jpeg.4e79438c3bc855f4d50b6a0a9824d4cc.jpeg

This is way better than my first prep.

• I found this Informative 3

14 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s a good first prep @Fossil Claw. Don’t give up yet, there’s more caudal fin to be revealed under that matrix.

I circled bits I can see poking out in red and the lines approximate the extent of the caudal fin for reference. An unintended result is the face. :P

08247551-134D-420A-B3EB-E5D9669AEACB.thumb.jpeg.4e79438c3bc855f4d50b6a0a9824d4cc.jpeg

This is way better than my first prep.

Thank you!