Phytosaur Prep II

Ptychodus04

I took delivery of my next major prep job today from @StevenJD. Man, he can sniff out some cool stuff. It is quite a beast! A nice phytosaur from New Mexico. This appears to have most of the skull and a fair bit of postcranial material.

6F45E756-3973-4F6C-BE04-AB0F3EE80286.thumb.jpeg.a6a435a825f32ad792e2c7a2e42b5bda.jpeg

This is only what fit on on the table in my shop. There are 3 more boxes of puzzlesaurus as well! I think I’m in for the long haul on this. If the skull comes together well, I will ultimately be mounting this guy.

• I found this Informative 11

Goodness! 

That's a job and a half, but what satisfaction and excitement as it slowly comes together. 

Good luck and I'll be looking forward to the updates. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow you don’t do things by half. What a project indeed. This is one to watch I think. Brilliant all the best.

Good luck, Kris!  :fingerscrossed::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Don’t you still have a regular day job?

Very cool, but man do you have your work cut out for you! It can be a nightmare trying to piece stuff together. 

Man if you ever take volunteer assistance I wouldn’t mind coming to help and learn prep stuff from you. I imagine I’d learn a ton. I don’t know where you live, but I doubt it’s any further away than places I go hunt.

8 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Don’t you still have a regular day job?

Very cool, but man do you have your work cut out for you! It can be a nightmare trying to piece stuff together. 

Man if you ever take volunteer assistance I wouldn’t mind coming to help and learn prep stuff from you. I imagine I’d learn a ton. I don’t know where you live, but I doubt it’s any further away than places I go hunt.

Unfortunately, I do still have the need for a day job.

I think my shop might get a little crowded with 2 people in it. It’s almost a sensory deprivation chamber (with lots of light and noises). :P 

Honestly, if you really want to learn to prep and have time for it, sign up to volunteer in the lab at the Perot. You’ll get to work on some really cool stuff and they have state of the art equipment. Plus, Dr. Tykoski is really cool and the other volunteers are friendly. 

• I found this Informative 3

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Unfortunately, I do still have the need for a day job.

I think my shop might get a little crowded with 2 people in it. It’s almost a sensory deprivation chamber (with lots of light and noises). :P 

Honestly, if you really want to learn to prep and have time for it, sign up to volunteer in the lab at the Perot. You’ll get to work on some really cool stuff and they have state of the art equipment. Plus, Dr. Tykoski is really cool and the other volunteers are friendly. 

I wish the museum by me would allow volunteers for that. When I go make the trip down to the field museum, I love just spending some time watching the prep lab. Unfortunately the rest of the family has no interest so I only get about 5 minutes there. Mpm is going to be building a new building in the future and hoping they make something cool like this.

1 hour ago, smt126 said:

I wish the museum by me would allow volunteers for that. When I go make the trip down to the field museum, I love just spending some time watching the prep lab. Unfortunately the rest of the family has no interest so I only get about 5 minutes there. Mpm is going to be building a new building in the future and hoping they make something cool like this.

I used to get the same treatment long ago. Now, since I know the paleontologists, I get even less time when the family is at the museum. :P 

I had a minor breakthrough on the prep today. Among a handful of successful puzzle fits, I found and assembled the pieces of the occipital and found the attachment site on the back of the skull!

4EAC6BEE-AF8D-4B6B-9B80-F10A81734F04.thumb.jpeg.17943329798d1ea70f2699c16b2fcf2c.jpeg

Now, I have both ends and just need to meet in the middle! Unfortunately, the probably 2,000 pieces of bone are in no real state of organization and no collection notes are available (through no fault of Steven I should add). :wacko:

I’ll get there, just keep the popcorn going.

• I found this Informative 8

You aren't done yet?!?!?!????  :faint:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Wow!  Thats one H-E-Double Toothpicks of a puzzle!!!

RB

Yes sir it is. Thankfully, there are a few large pieces, but most would fit on a silver dollar or smaller.

3 hours ago, daves64 said:

You aren't done yet?!?!?!????  :faint:

Almost, all I lack is finishing.