Cole hill rd. Short trip but fun trip.

Al Tahan

I can’t wait for spring ugh. I had 3 hours to fossil hunt today (including drive time) and I live 35 min from Cole hill rd. It’s been on my do list before we get buried in snow lol. My fiancée is 29 today!! She got her hair dyed today so she was going to be busy for the afternoon. When she did that I slipped out for a few hours before the birthday festivities. Perfect compromise lol.  

The outcrop didn’t have much snow on it.

7C5EB5B3-A3D7-4542-8C70-A5D54C16FAAF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

I did mostly hard labor and didn’t get to split as much rock as I would have liked but I was trying to set up for future hunts. I want to actually try to do some detailed field work here at some point. I’m interested in trilobite orientations. I love structural geology. I find it interesting that the trilobites in buffalo are upside down (usually)and the ones at Cole hill are not (usually)...I’m also interested in directional orientations.....For another day. I did find this monster though. No cephalon but still huge!! 

E1BB9EB9-0FB9-4D9B-9115-5C4577444127.jpeg

DD03C1D2-D0B3-4115-9D43-3D78588FD34B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Final product for the day. I did get some Gastropods and Brachiopods as well but they aren’t being very photogenic lol. I forgot to mention the nice cephalon of a greenops I found. 

Finds that I kept: 

1 dipleura cephalon 

1 greenops cephalon 

2 dipleura pygidium 

large dipleura missing cephalon

various brachs and gastropods

thanks,

Al :trilo:

9D497535-41EA-481E-B127-C16F96C954E9.jpeg

B7FF8639-B7EB-43FD-B4DF-16004B276282.jpeg

D608F045-36BB-4E11-A4F3-A3D94D62EE89.jpeg

EDD33137-C4D8-4A01-BC91-4C837E5C37F7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Great report Al- wrap one of those up as a gift for the GF- but stay back, she will probably throw it at you- lol. Great finds.

• I found this Informative 1

Top notch trilos! :trilo::dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

A good trip, Al. It may take a few boxes of moult partials before landing the whole Dipleura enchilada, but persistence is key! I certainly wish we had a more accessible site like that around here at this time of year!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice finds, Al!  I especially love the almost-complete Dipleura - the ornamentation on the pygidium is gorgeous!

Happy belated birthday to your fiancée, by the way! :)

Very cool finds Al! That big cephalon is very impressive

7 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Gastropods and Brachiopods as well but they aren’t being very photogenic lol

Maybe a little prep would help? Otherwise water often also works a bit. Either way I would love to see them (please) :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Some how I just knew that you would be going there this weekend. Lol. Nice finds all. The Greenops are pretty rare from that site. I found one complete specimen years ago. And only a few partials since then. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks! @Nimravis @WhodamanHD @KimTexan @Tidgy's Dad @Monica

@RJB the pictures don’t even do justice. It looks bigger in real life lol. I thought they say the movies make you put on 10 lbs lol. Lies! Haha 

@Max-fossils they are really dark and fragmented. Some of the brachs you can hardly tell it’s a brach lol. The gastros I collected looked nicer

@Kane it is lucky I was able to get out there! If I keep at it I’ll get that really good mantle piece lol...in time.....and perhaps I’ll get some good structure data! Ha. Have you ever been to Cole hill Kane? You would probably love it. 

@Darktooth your starting to know me well haha. I keep doing these unplanned trips last second. We gotta try to get a hunt in! Many hands make light work :hammer01:.....and complete greenops! :faint:wow

@Al Tahan -- No, I haven't had the pleasure. :) 

The site looks very easy, access-wise... No trudging through deep woods or negotiating treacherous rivers to get at the productive layers!

I do, however, have some Cole Hill fossils courtesy of Darktooth when we all met up at DSR last spring. I'm hoping Cole Hill will be on our NY "spring fossil tour." Still in the planning and coordination stage. Of course, you'll hopefully be available! Last year was a pretty good sized crew, and maybe it'll be even bigger this spring. :fingerscrossed:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Al, very cool! Especially for a cold January day! My son Ian is at RPI and I've thought about taking a day trip to places around him like Coles Hill. 

:wub:

I hope to have the opportunity to collect DSR and Cole Hill someday.  Bucket Listers for sure.

3 hours ago, Kane said:

The site looks very easy, access-wise... No trudging through deep woods or negotiating treacherous rivers to get at the productive layers!

I do, however, have some Cole Hill fossils courtesy of Darktooth when we all met up at DSR last spring. I'm hoping Cole Hill will be on our NY "spring fossil tour." Still in the planning and coordination stage. Of course, you'll hopefully be available! Last year was a pretty good sized crew, and maybe it'll be even bigger this spring. :fingerscrossed:

Never know I may even attend this time

8 hours ago, Kane said:

:D sure hope so.....if I know long enough ahead of time I can make almost anything happen lol. 

35 minutes away, huh?  I had planned to get to Cole Hill this past fall but my car rebelled. I will try to get there next Spring, though. You did great there!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

2 hours ago, Pagurus said:

35 minutes away, huh?  I had planned to get to Cole Hill this past fall but my car rebelled. I will try to get there next Spring, though. You did great there!

Mike

Shoot me a message if you ever make your way out there. I’ll come help haha

Congratulations. Nice finds and effort to take advantage of a brief opportunity. Cole Hill is four hours away from me so I would be lucky to get there more than three times in a year. This could be my lucky year.

I travel between Michigan and Maine, crossing at Buffalo and heading towards Scranton before heading up to Maine....is Cole Hill along the way? I have heard there are some places near Scranton as well, but it seems I am always traveling through there in the dusk, so can't really check things out in the distance or by the side of the road. Thanks for entertaining the question.

1 hour ago, dalmayshun said:

I travel between Michigan and Maine, crossing at Buffalo and heading towards Scranton before heading up to Maine....is Cole Hill along the way? I have heard there are some places near Scranton as well, but it seems I am always traveling through there in the dusk, so can't really check things out in the distance or by the side of the road. Thanks for entertaining the question.

Cole hill is about dead center in the middle of New York. If you were coming from Michigan to Buffalo take the thruway through New York instead of going down to Scranton. You can get off at the Canastota exit and take some back roads to get there. Unless you have to go to Scranton for something important.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.