montse

Here are traces of protovirgularia.

5c334dd5769d7_5c30fbfab0602_20180411_161627.jpg.63a89863b51c829c55d3f2ec294c5be31.jpg.e0fede685dd6ffd4357356c88f7c1eea.jpg.0aeba5e480538d814bdef5e3987841.thumb.jpg.2ae74b76487b23f16f7bbb78d6a01da4.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It is a beautiful fossil.
Tracks of Protovirgularia and Protovirgularia are seen.
 I think that the burrow I have with so many "animals" are either worms or fossilized Protovirgularia, and traces of Protovirgularia .

What do you think?

Regards.

• I found this Informative 1

Two other possibilities to consider:

1. Weathered Thalassinoides

2. Algal mat

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

these are biological to me. They are reminiscent of cliona borings preserved after the aragonitic mollusk shell has been dissolved away. I don't think this is what they are but it is a possibility. Are there mollusk steinkerns in the place you collected these?

55 minutes ago, Kane said:

2. Algal mat

I can see this being the right combination of order and chaos. 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, montse said:

Are you talking seriously?
We are planning to go live in Barcelona.
Do you have houses that you can sell to buy ours?
Regards.

No, not really--I only talk seriously on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. :P (Oh, wait a minute--today is a Monday.) ;)

Actually, I am getting ready to sell but I'm headed up towards Gainesville, FL to work more closely with the Florida Museum of Natural History.

If I had the money to spare and my Spanish was a lot better I'd jump at a place like yours.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for your information.

thanks for your information
I found a picture of a coral fossil that also resembles it.
It is complicated to identify it.

I have a photo of fossil worms of the Grand Canyon, I passed the link.

https://www.alamy.es/foto-8528-grand-canyon-gusano-fosil-senderos-en-esquistos-bright-angel-53805323.html

Regards.

1 hour ago, montse said:

I have a photo of fossil worms of the Grand Canyon, I passed the link.

Some rocks are easy to identify as fossils as they are very distinctive (gastropods, trilobites, fossil fishes, etc.) and then there are those that are enigmatic and difficult to pin down. Many concretions from Mazon Creek fit into this latter category--they can take a lot of squinting and imagination to spot the pattern that confirms the proper ID.

Keep in mind that the photo in the link above is not fossilized worms themselves but rather the traces (burrows) from worms which are more likely to leave something to fossilize than a soft-bodied worm.

Cheers.

-Ken

8 minutes ago, montse said:

Who do they think they are if they are not worms?

Impossible for me to say with authority as I am not familiar with the fossil material from that location (beyond what you have shown). My best guess would be to go with things that I have seen before which resemble this. Given the fact that you are finding coral fossils in the area, it is not much of a stretch to think this might be an eroded fossilized coral that has been layered with calcite and agate as Tony suggested:

20 hours ago, ynot said:

Many minerals will cover whatever was in a void before those minerals were deposited.

The most common of these are calcite and agate. (does Your piece fizz when vinegar is applied?)

My best guess is it is a piece of agate that formed over some type of needle like mineral growth.

Again, we don't have members collecting fossils in your area so we are using our experience in other areas and our memories of seeing known fossils or minerals that are similar to your find to make our best guesses and possibly suggest paths for research. When you are back in Barcelona I think it would be a great idea to seek out the geology/paleontology department of a local museum or university and talk to someone who may have more experience in the locality where you found these pieces. If you do get an authoritative answer, please let us know here. It would be informative for not only those looking at these images now but anybody who comes across this topic in the future.

Cheers.

-Ken

This morning I searched Vallès-Penedés in the forum and found Protovirguaria. I have these links, it looks a lot and something is but I do not know if everything.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Different-perspectives-and-details-of-the-specimen-A-Protovirgularia-cf-dichotoma-Pd_fig4_232946459

http://paleoneomed.blogspot.com/2009/02/protovirgularia-pistas-fosiles-de.html

google "cliona cretacea" yours is Miocene but they have a very conservative life structure. Maybe "sulfur sponge" will get you some pics also.

I know you were inspired by Sophie's topic with my suggestion regarding to Protovirgularia, but in my opinion the tubular elements of your specimen doesn't have Protovirgularia characters. The mentioned ichnofossil is a straight to curved bilobate burrow with a median ridge and it has chevrons, which I don't recognize in your pictures. Beside this, the discriminating fact is that Protovirgularia is a surface trace on a bedding plane, while your tubes are running in all possible directions forming something like a "Gordian knot".
With your new pictures, and thank you for them, I'm leaning toward something like Rhizoliths, but that's just a possible ID. :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

hi montse,
are you sure that your sample comes from a marine deposit and not from a continental one? 
I see tiny holes in the center of some of the small sectioned cylinders and a concentric laminated structure, 
which does not fit, I believe, to your hypothesis; any chance that you have a chunk of phytoermal or microhermal travertine? 
Could you add a pic showing the whole piece?

ciao

microhermal.jpg

6 minutes ago, supertramp said:

are you sure that your sample comes from a marine deposit and not from a continental one?

Perhaps in between ? How about mangrove roots ? 

It looks a lot like the body of the supposed "worms" both rhizolists and cliona cretacea. Mangrove roots I do not see the resemblance. Now looking for cliona cretaceous, I have realized that I have a fossil that seems Cretaceous and the Vallès-Penedes area could also have sediments from the Cretaceous and also littoral mixed with continental.
I climb the so-called Cretaceous fossil and a photo of the complete burrow of worms.
Thank you all.

20190107_165713.jpg