Finds of the weekend!

GaryMc

Hello everyone

First, thanks for responding to my posts, and sorry they haven't been up to par. I, like most people do appreciate feedback because I learn something sometimes. I'm posting just a few of my finds from this weekend. This time I'm only asking,please, that if you are not 100 percent, don't comment please. I know what I've been finding, my wife seen it first hand today, and I seriously feel that this area hasn't had anything like this. Call me whatever you may wish! There are no other stones but headline stones at my property. A major amount of earth was removed to build up the levee on which our 50 acre lake depends on , if that says anything about the amount of dirt, clay. So, these were found about a mile from the Middle Fork, Salt Fork, and those 2 combined the Vermillion River in Rural Vermillion County. More to come!

20190106_234221.jpg

2 hours ago, GaryMc said:

Call me whatever you may wish!

Curious and in need of guidance. 

That's 100 % what we do here. :)

I would consider myself almost 100% certain that this is not a fossilized egg, vertebrae, or head contrary to what your tags suggest. You will likely find that is the consensus of others here as well. 

But of course science is not about being 100% certain. Certainty belongs in mathematical proofs, whereas science is about testing and falsifying. To assume absolute certainty assumes knowledge of all things in all times in all places: something science does not do, and is not part of the empirical method. Science cannot prove or disprove anything; only reduce the margins of (im)probability through constant, rigorous testing with ever more stringent controls. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 hours ago, GaryMc said:

This time I'm only asking,please, that if you are not 100 percent, don't comment please. 

As per the improbability of attaining 100% certainty I spoke of above, this would be self-defeating.

I don't think it is entirely appropriate here for you to set ground rules on who can reply to your post on an open forum. :unsure: Members here are providing their time, knowledge, and experience to assist you in identifying your finds, and all are welcome to do so. ;) 

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 hours ago, GaryMc said:

Hello everyone

First, thanks for responding to my posts, and sorry they haven't been up to par. I, like most people do appreciate feedback because I learn something sometimes. I'm posting just a few of my finds from this weekend. This time I'm only asking,please, that if you are not 100 percent, don't comment please. I know what I've been finding, my wife seen it first hand today, and I seriously feel that this area hasn't had anything like this. Call me whatever you may wish! There are no other stones but headline stones at my property. A major amount of earth was removed to build up the levee on which our 50 acre lake depends on , if that says anything about the amount of dirt, clay. So, these were found about a mile from the Middle Fork, Salt Fork, and those 2 combined the Vermillion River in Rural Vermillion County. More to come!

I study fossil eggs and am fairly certain what you have is not an egg. Now, as stated by @Kane, I will never be 100% sure, but eggshell almost always needs to be present for a rock of any shape to be an egg and in this case, no eggshell appears present. In looking over your other post, nothing there appears to be an egg either. My conclusion is based on trying to falsify it as an egg, which was able to. If you are 100% convinced it is a fossil of any type then I would encourage you to have a paleontologist look it over in person.

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo
  • I found this Informative 6

I agree with what was said above. There's no more fossils here than in your other posts. Stones and rocks can sometimes take odd shapes and have odd patterns. They're called pareidolia, like for example the human face of the moon.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

As there is nothing more to be gleaned from this topic, it has been locked.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me