This weekends finds

GaryMc

This weekends finds, again found in Vermilion County, illinois approximately one mile from the Salt Fork, Middle Fork, and combined the Vermillion River.

20190106_234051.jpg

20190106_234008.jpg

Edited by GaryMc
Didn't like picture quality

Agreed with post above; non-fossil rock with a shape created by some kind of non-organic factor. 

Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find a cool fossil soon enough :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I also agree, an odd shaped rock.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

A lot of outwash in your area due to a number of glaciation events. This till was spread out over wide areas when the glaciers retreated, resulting in a lot of tumbled rocks, rivers that formed and eventually dried up before being covered by till, silt, and other sediments. This very simplified map of your state indicates the extent to which some of the ice sheets extended. Post- and inter-glaciation events can go some length to answer your question about the origin of your tumbled stones. 

glaciers-il.gif

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Kane locked this topic

As there is nothing more to be gleaned from this topic, it has been locked.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer