Making metal mounts and stands

Rob_P

I have several bones I’d like to display but need to make my own stands. Specifically I have a triceratops rib that I’d like to use as a centerpiece for my table. I see all the time where there’s metal stands that wrap around the bone to hold it in place. What kind of metal are people using that’s pliable enough? Anyone making their own mounts?

I think Iron but your need some blacksmith skills . I made some stands out of wire but I don’t think it is substantial for a big piece like your describing.  They are for smaller fossils and a spear head. Someone did post a nice stand last week but I can’t remember who or what it was for, sorry.

Here is a link to a post on stands - wooden base/brass stock. As Bobby Rico said weight is a prime consideration. However, with support placement and election of larger diameter stock this same method could support a great deal of weight. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I've used mild steel (essentially iron) and copper for different mounts. Copper is very soft so it has some challenges when using it for a mount. If you have the ability to braze, you can do a mild steel mount for something like the Trike rib easily. Round stock up to 1/4" can be bent cold in a vise. You simply need to braze the 1/4" pieces to a steel plate (or mount in wood as @snolly50 has done). Although, a piece of nice wood that is big enough for the base of a rib mount would be pretty expensive.

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Although, a piece of nice wood that is big enough for the base of a rib mount would be pretty expensive.

Not if you use 1/2 a log.

• I found this Informative 1

I have made a lot of stands of wood and brazed brass. My advice, if you don't have real welding skills, find someone who does and pay them to make your stands out of steel. You should be able to find someone to do this for a reasonable price. The appearance of a nice steel stand (mine are spray painted black) and the lack of aggravation in having a brazed (or even worse, a soldered one) to hold a heavy fossil are both considerations worth paying for.

32 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That doesn't fall into the "nice" category.

It depends on the look you prefer. I tend to lean towards natural/ rustic materials for stands, ie: driftwood, rocks, wood chunks, etc.

There is no reason you can't make a half sawn log look "nice" with proper prep.

• I found this Informative 3

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It depends on the look you prefer. I tend to lean towards natural/ rustic materials for stands, ie: driftwood, rocks, wood chunks, etc.

There is no reason you can't make a half sawn log look "nice" with proper prep.

I misread your original post. I totally agree with you. My mind auto corrected 1/2 log to 2x4 for some irrational reason. :blink: I'm chalking it up to spending too much time in the sun recently whist taining my fence.

13 hours ago, Rob_P said:

I have several bones I’d like to display but need to make my own stands. Specifically I have a triceratops rib that I’d like to use as a centerpiece for my table. I see all the time where there’s metal stands that wrap around the bone to hold it in place. What kind of metal are people using that’s pliable enough? Anyone making their own mounts?

Hi

I guess it depends on the shape, size and weight of the bone you want to display and whether you want to do a simple or fancy display.

Here is an iguanodon humerus that I recently had a stand made for.

The bone is 700 mm long and weighs about 20 kg.

CDE2B597-4A95-4EF2-8379-0B6F4C8EDDA7.thumb.jpeg.bbef721e3e4824ff4cf2397d7a9175cd.jpeg

I’ll post some further pictures below.

Regards

Nick

I approached a local blacksmith and we talked about the design of what I wanted.

The base was made out of 12 mm plate and the support arms and cross member made from 20 mm round bar. 

The cradles were were formed from 15 round bar.

Finally a cross strut was shaped from 10 mm bar to run along the contour of the bone and to support it at the back.

The metal was under coated and painted matt black.

9399F716-9320-444F-A523-526D315FEB05.thumb.jpeg.21356147ff1d4c9096920ae95f71698b.jpeg

Nick

Here’s a photo of the stand prior to painting.

The bone is covered in cling film to stop it getting marked with oil.

A72A768C-7A18-43DF-9489-8D2143537F1B.thumb.jpeg.63e75c1f6502293ef032d484f002b57a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I don’t have a need for stands like that, but I sure would like to figure out a good way to mount some ammonites on the wall, or hang them off either side of my brick fireplace, which I never use. Some way in the 30 lb range.

I’m a do it yourself type person, but don’t weld.

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I've used mild steel (essentially iron) and copper for different mounts. Copper is very soft so it has some challenges when using it for a mount. If you have the ability to braze, you can do a mild steel mount for something like the Trike rib easily. Round stock up to 1/4" can be bent cold in a vise. You simply need to braze the 1/4" pieces to a steel plate (or mount in wood as @snolly50 has done). Although, a piece of nice wood that is big enough for the base of a rib mount would be pretty expensive.

What exactly is brazing? Is it kind of like soldering? I have soldering stuff, but I gather it’s more than soldering.

Of course you say “can easily be bent cold in a vice.” Ease is relevant to an individual’s size and muscle mass. I’m a good size girl, but don’t have much in terms of muscle mass.

20 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

brick fireplace,

Hi Kim I use this type of hook very easy bent shape to hold different fossils  and if to much of underneath the hook is showing I just paint it to match the fossil.  Works well and very cheep. I have fossil fish,  keichousaurus , ammonites or sorts be displayed this way on a wall

FEBF887B-9D8F-4E20-846D-D1DBB8BB1812.jpeg

1 hour ago, Welsh Wizard said:

I approached a local blacksmith and we talked about the design of what I wanted.

The base was made out of 12 mm plate and the support arms and cross member made from 20 mm round bar. 

The cradles were were formed from 15 round bar.

Finally a cross strut was shaped from 10 mm bar to run along the contour of the bone and to support it at the back.

The metal was under coated and painted matt black.

9399F716-9320-444F-A523-526D315FEB05.thumb.jpeg.21356147ff1d4c9096920ae95f71698b.jpeg

Nick

I havta say, this is a really nice custom made stand!!!

1 hour ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Here is an iguanodon humerus that I recently had a stand made for.

That stand looks well-made enough to last as long as the fossil piece it holds. Very nice.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

9 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi Kim I use this type of hook very easy bent shape to hold different fossils  and if to much of underneath the hook is showing I just paint it to match the fossil.  Works well and very cheep. I have fossil fish,  keichousaurus , ammonites or sorts be displayed this way on a wall

Thank you Bobby.

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

Thank you Bobby.

They are not fancy but I don’t think they detract form the fossil displayed. 

E50FA66A-080E-4E16-80E3-6A29B70DBE85.jpeg

Some more at the other side with fish on them.

653307AA-F0C7-4DFA-B4CB-6C047A0A0538.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Those hook look handy, Bobby . . . where do you find them?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

6 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Those hook look handy, Bobby . . . where do you find them?

They very easy to find in the Uk most DIY shops sell them. Do you have screwfix in the US? Cheers Bobby 

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

What exactly is brazing? Is it kind of like soldering? I have soldering stuff, but I gather it’s more than soldering.

Of course you say “can easily be bent cold in a vice.” Ease is relevant to an individual’s size and muscle mass. I’m a good size girl, but don’t have much in terms of muscle mass.

Correct, brazing is like soldering only stronger. Good point on the relative nature of “ease”. :doh!: Not all arms are created equal.

Looks like I might have to get into brazing, I’m decent at welding so I’m assuming it can be too difficult. I can’t recall who I’ve seen on here that made some nice stands, it was just a little rich for my blood. I’ll at least have to give it a try before I fork the money out. Currently need two and soon will need more, the cost will add up quick if I outsource.

9 hours ago, Rob_P said:

Looks like I might have to get into brazing, I’m decent at welding so I’m assuming it can be too difficult. I can’t recall who I’ve seen on here that made some nice stands, it was just a little rich for my blood. I’ll at least have to give it a try before I fork the money out. Currently need two and soon will need more, the cost will add up quick if I outsource.

Drop me a PM if you decide to outsource. I’ve made a bunch of stands from measurements and photographs.