Making metal mounts and stands

Rob_P

11 hours ago, Rob_P said:

Looks like I might have to get into brazing, I’m decent at welding so I’m assuming it can be too difficult. I can’t recall who I’ve seen on here that made some nice stands, it was just a little rich for my blood. I’ll at least have to give it a try before I fork the money out. Currently need two and soon will need more, the cost will add up quick if I outsource.

If you already have welding skills, use them. A welded joint will always be stronger than a brazed one. 

11 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

If you already have welding skills, use them. A welded joint will always be stronger than a brazed one. 

Often, a clean and visually pleasant joint is easier to achieve with brazing than arc welding. We're not talking about a lot of weight so strength of the bond isn't as important and if done properly, a brazed joint is very strong. As an example, take a 1/8" rod, drill a 5/32" hole in a 1/4" plate and braze the joint. Then try to pull or break the joint apart.

Of course, if you simply braze the rod to the surface of the plate (incorrect application of materials), the joint won't be nearly as strong and you could relatively easily break it.

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Often, a clean and visually pleasant joint is easier to achieve with brazing than arc welding. We're not talking about a lot of weight so strength of the bond isn't as important and if done properly, a brazed joint is very strong. As an example, take a 1/8" rod, drill a 5/32" hole in a 1/4" plate and braze the joint. Then try to pull or break the joint apart.

Of course, if you simply braze the rod to the surface of the plate (incorrect application of materials), the joint won't be nearly as strong and you could relatively easily break it.

I'm sure that is true. I am nearly as bad a brazer as I am a welder! I figured out pretty quickly my time was better spent prepping and let the metal workers do the stand work.

1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

I'm sure that is true. I am nearly as bad a brazer as I am a welder! I figured out pretty quickly my time was better spent prepping and let the metal workers do the stand work.

There's some real honesty in admitting ones "weaknesses".

I spent some time working as a pipe-fitter years ago so brazing is second nature and I was the only person on a maintenance crew at another job with welding abilities (minimal at the time) so I got a ton of experience welding broken fences, gates, and dumpsters for 15 apartment complexes. That experience is invaluable when applied to small scale projects! Plus, it really helps to already have the tools and an almost unlimited supply of scrap metal to experiment with from the construction projects I manage.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I’m fortunate enough to work at a facility that has boilermakers with lots of down time. Excuse the mess I took the pic when I got off work.

9DDEDB8F-EE96-43DC-8FC7-6221B7433C10.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Rob_P said:

Well I’m fortunate enough to work at a facility that has boilermakers with lots of down time. Excuse the mess I took the pic when I got off work.

I'd have lots of down time if I was drinking boilermakers... :blink:  :P

Nice mount.

• I found this Informative 1

Now to get my ulna coated! Probably make a very similar stand. Maybe with a slimmer base, it’s 1/4” steel so it’s more than heavy enough.