Nautilus Polishing Advice

DanJeavs

I bagged a couple of Nautilus while down at Lyme Regis recently. The one on the left will be a reverse prepper and still has its shell on which is a joy to see. The other is a polish job, I have a vague idea at how to do it, although I’d appreciate if anybody could give me a rundown or step by step guide on how to get it gleeming, as it’s not something I want to go in blind like I usually do. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks. 

3844E465-6001-49C5-B625-5826A452B159.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Start by sanding, sanding, and sanding. I have never polished something so large but you basically want to wet sand it completely smooth with progressively finer grits down to around 600 grit. Then, you can polish it to a shine with polishing compound and a buffing wheel on a bench grinder.

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Start by sanding, sanding, and sanding. I have never polished something so large but you basically want to wet sand it completely smooth with progressively finer grits down to around 600 grit. Then, you can polish it to a shine with polishing compound and a buffing wheel on a bench grinder.

Thankyou. That was my presumption. Pretty certain there is a few sneaky other methods I’m not aware of, but it’s hard getting it out of some other collectors/preppers who just won’t give up their secrets haha. 

30 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely finds! :)

Cheers :) was one/two to scratch off the bucket list

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, DanJeavs said:

Cheers :) was one/two to scratch off the bucket list

Absolutely! :)

I have collected at Lyme and Charmouth many times, found some wonderful things, but never found a nautiloid as nice as those. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Absolutely! :)

I have collected at Lyme and Charmouth many times, found some wonderful things, but never found a nautiloid as nice as those. 

They certainly could be better, but I’ll take what I got for now haha. Got some other really nice bits that are in the waiting pile haha. It seems to keep growing bigger every week :mellow:

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, DanJeavs said:

They certainly could be better, but I’ll take what I got for now haha. Got some other really nice bits that are in the waiting pile haha. It seems to keep growing bigger every week :mellow:

Mine too! 

Which is always good news. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png