Attempt to smuggle Egyptian fossils foiled

Oxytropidoceras

Petrified wood?  Why wood anyone care?   Seems like nations all over the world are getting too carried away with 'protecting' fossils?   

RB

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

He didn't know it was illegal, yet he had it well hidden? 

Maybe he's just playing his "ignorance is bliss" card or was convinced that the officers were "lying" to him.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Petrified wood?  Why wood anyone care?   Seems like nations all over the world are getting too carried away with 'protecting' fossils?

While I do agree that fossils should be protected at an extent and have a negative view on collecting fossils with the sole intent to sell for extraneous profit, we all agree that it gets super annoying when authorities start guarding every single piece of rock in the name of science. I mean, isn't the majority (or at least a huge portion) of great fossils that has advanced paleontology known because of amateur hunters who were at least able to dig along these areas?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Bet it wasn't petrified wood. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 1/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, Macrophyseter said:

While I do agree that fossils should be protected at an extent and have a negative view on collecting fossils with the sole intent to sell for extraneous profit, we all agree that it gets super annoying when authorities start guarding every single piece of rock in the name of science. I mean, isn't the majority (or at least a huge portion) of great fossils that has advanced paleontology known because of amateur hunters who were at least able to dig along these areas?

Agreed... And I don't think all the museums and universities in the world could possibly hold all the fossils that can be found - so we're just supposed to leave them out there to weather into dust? This is the attitude I got from the people I dealt with (won't name names) when I last donated to the provincial museum. It seems self-defeating... I can't see how this wouldn't discourage amateur collectors from even bothering. May as well switch to a different hobby.

I think the only fossils that need to be 'protected' from amateur or commercial collectors are those that scientists are actively collecting and researching. If they're no longer digging/collecting from a site for a period of a few years, say, then open it up to the amateurs.

Blanket nationwide bans on collecting reek of bureaucratic incompetence, but that's nothing new.

• I found this Informative 2