Lauren C.

Hi All! I am an avid shark tooth hunter and live on Hilton Head Island. I found a really nice tooth during my daily walk this afternoon, and I would love some help identifying it!! It's approx. 2 inches with beautiful coloring... Is it a great white? They are common to the Port Royal Sound area, where I found it... Thanks in advance!!! 

20190107_151945~2.jpg

20190107_152026~2.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

It is a requiem shark of the genus Carcharhinus spp. Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit difficult to go further than that, as species within the genus have teeth that are so similar that it's really hard, sometimes near-impossible to differentiate the species based on a tooth alone. But my best guess here is that it might be a bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas) based on the more wider crown between the edges and the root portion in the center.

• I found this Informative 2

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I agree it looks very much like Charcharhinus sp. But 2 inch? That would be gigantic for that species.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Looking at the close up, it is serrated down both sides of the blade.

@Lauren C. Any chance we can get photos with something for scale, like a ruler or tape measure?

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World