GaryMc

A few more pics from last weekend

GaryMc

Can anyone help me identify? Once again found in Vermilion County 

, Illinois. Thank you and sorry to be of trouble.

20190107_213231.jpg

20190107_211132.jpg

Aurelius

I think you need to have a think about why you continually post these rocks here. If you think you're being funny, you're really not. If you are being genuine, then I suggest you take some to a museum, but you need to be prepared for the fact that you might get some funny looks. I don't think you'd believe them anyway, given that you don't listen to the experts here. If you genuinely want to find fossils, then I'm sure there are some people here who know your area and would be able to offer some tips, but nobody is ever going to tell you that those rocks are fossils, because they aren't.

ynot
14 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Flint is one of many types ochalcedony, a microcrystalline silica based mineral,

Flint (and chert) are not the same as chalcedony (agate). They are all cryptocrystalline quartz, but flint and chert will only form in sedimentary rock whereas agate will form in any type of rock but is more common in volcanic rock.

KimTexan
7 hours ago, ynot said:

Flint (and chert) are not the same as chalcedony (agate). They are all cryptocrystalline quartz, but flint and chert will only form in sedimentary rock whereas agate will form in any type of rock but is more common in volcanic rock.

I believe we have had this discussion on at least 2 other occasion, possibly more. It seems to keep coming back to the definition of chalcedony. 

How you define chalcedony seems to be different than how I define it. I’ve checked my book and other sources. I believe I use the term correctly.

I have been bewildered each time you bring this up. I can’t figure out what I’m missing or what point it is you’re trying to make. Maybe I am a bit dense or so set in my concept of it I can’t see outside the box to where you’re coming from.

Chalcedony is the term for all forms of quartz in cryptocrystalline form. 

There are many forms of chalcedony. Agate, avertine, carnelian, onyx, chert, flint to name a few. Some are sedimentary and some are not.

Flint is a specific form of chert. Flint can be called chert, but chert should not be called flint. I don’t use the terms interchangeably.

Flint and chert are forms of chalcedony based on how chalcedony is defined as the term for all forms of quartz in cryptocrystalline form. 

I’d like to understand what your point is, but I’m not sure I get it.

FranzBernhard
1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

I’m not sure I was of any help, but I hope some of it was helpful in some way.

What a great and educational post! Thanks, Kim!
Franz Bernhard

Kane

Likely worn sedimentary cobble deposited as post- or inter-glacial outwash, as is consistent with your area.

DPS Ammonite

6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Chalcedony is the term for all forms of quartz in cryptocrystalline form. 

There are many forms of chalcedony. Agate, avertine, carnelian, onyx, chert, flint to name a few. Some are sedimentary and some are not.

Flint is a specific form of chert. Flint can be called chert, but chert should not be called flint. I don’t use the terms interchangeably.

Flint and chert are forms of chalcedony based on how chalcedony is defined as the term for all forms of quartz in cryptocrystalline form

I’d like to understand what your point is, but I’m not sure I get it.

In the geological community, chalcedony is not the name for all varieties of cryptocrystalline quartz. However, chalcedony occurs in many varieties of crypto and microcrystalline quartz rocks.

Kim, what book do you use for the definition of chalcedony, chert, jasper etc?

Definitions vary depending on the community the term is used in. Here is a standard definition used by geologists and found in the best geological glossary, Glossary of Geology by Bates and Jackson (1987): “A cryptocrystalline variety of quartz. It is commonly microscopically fibrous, may be translucent or semitransparent, and have a nearly waxlike luster...” 

Chalcedony is contained in chert and flint.

Chert often contains chalcedony, opal and other impurities. To geologists, chert includes flint and jasper.

D9FEE885-E5D5-41FC-9CF5-944CDD8BE3FC.jpeg.1b5d9b05f5d6bd38f0edd862d2e4007a.jpeg

087E4CCD-562A-4D6D-A587-C200CD00238C.jpeg.28bcc345858c18947ca80db1e471f146.jpeg

Fossildude19

As there is nothing more to be gleaned from this topic, it has been locked.