Trickkytrav

I have always looked for shark teeth on folly and Morris island in Charleston SC and I've had very good luck on Morris but I have not found a whole meg yet just broken pieces.  I want to expand my sites and start looking in creeks and rivers but I do not know where to start researching good sites. Everytime I Google a spot though I do not get much information.  Any advice on places to start?

ynot

Welcome to TFF!

Try looking at some geologic maps of the areas You are interested in to see if the right type of deposits are exposed, then look at property maps to see if it is accessible lands.

SailingAlongToo
1 hour ago, Trickkytrav said:

I have always looked for shark teeth on folly and Morris island in Charleston SC and I've had very good luck on Morris but I have not found a whole meg yet just broken pieces.  I want to expand my sites and start looking in creeks and rivers but I do not know where to start researching good sites. Everytime I Google a spot though I do not get much information.  Any advice on places to start?

Have you done a search of SC and/or your general area here on TFF? Lots of great information in the TFF archives.

Other options are to join a local fossil club or volunteer with a local museum.  I have it on good authority there is a great museum at the College of Charleston with a super-awesome Paleontologist, who also happens to frequent TFF.

I'm quite confident no one will take, tell or show you any of their "honey-holes" as we've all had very bad experiences with greedy people. Both @sixgill pete and I got burned last year trying to be nice and help some folks out. Won't happen again though.

Trickkytrav
34 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Have you done a search of SC and/or your general area here on TFF? Lots of great information in the TFF archives.

Other options are to join a local fossil club or volunteer with a local museum.  I have it on good authority there is a great museum at the College of Charleston with a super-awesome Paleontologist, who also happens to frequent TFF.

I'm quite confident no one will take, tell or show you any of their "honey-holes" as we've all had very bad experiences with greedy people. Both @sixgill pete and I got burned last year trying to be nice and help some folks out. Won't happen again though.

Thank you for the advice. I know no one will divulge their honey holes I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction to find my own. 

Raggedy Man
2 hours ago, Trickkytrav said:

Thank you for the advice. I know no one will divulge their honey holes I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction to find my own. 

I would take Ynots advice and search the forum. Sometimes members divulge site information. Its where I would start.

Uncle Siphuncle

I hope that didn’t come across too harsh, but the fact is that people often don’t realize the time, toil, expense and finite repeat potential involved in finding and maintaining these sites.  

Another tip:  realize that those who share generally hope to guide family and other guests on productive trips in the future, and let that guide how you handle gleaned site info.