Rowboater

Deer season has ended so I figured I wouldn't bother the hunters or get shot if I went back to the creek.  Clearly others had been working some of my favorite spots, there were new pieces of screening rolled up and deposited nearby.  Most kids are looking for big, but seem to be few interested / obsessed (more interested in games on their phones). The day was cold (the cold water, which is up, was warmer than the air.  Lots of tiny freshwater shrimp/ mysis and bright red (freshly shed?) crayfish.  Found the usual, though not many drum teeth, lots of sand shark (one seems a bit thick and heavier than usual?) and lots of broken angel shark, spikes and ecphora pieces.  No cowshark, will try again!  There's a broken tiny sand dollar-like piece near the penny (I had posted a whole one before). Will post a picture on the ID section along with a broken tooth I don't recognize.

010819.thumb.jpg.cf21fdadbaca61a4471c5f678afdd858.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Some of those teeth are in nice condition. 

Thanks for the report. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thanks everyone! @fossildude   Went back today, water's still high.  Sifted a lot and at least came up with two partial cowshark teeth and a dozen drum teeth.  Also a lower mako/white?  More angel shark teeth and lots of sand tiger spikes.   

011019.thumb.jpg.2d3ba39fea1beec18d74d4af8e52f2f0.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds! I always love finding cow shark teeth, broken or not. What geologic formation is exposed here, may I ask?

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

It's Miocene, probably similar to the Calvert Cliffs Area and Maryland and Virginia park beaches.  I think it was a nursery area, most of my teeth are small relative to the average at local beach spots.  The creek bed may be mixed Miocene by geological age on what washes out.  Tiger shark teeth are rare and often worn more than my "usual" sand tiger spikes.  Makos are also generally small.  Never found a meg in this creek (but the kids found several 30 years ago).  The top photo was in a spot that was mostly sand, shell bits and shells.  The bottom photo was from a spot five feet away which was mostly fine gravel and more gray mud; I've noticed (as on these two trips) I tend to find more drum teeth (and verts) mixed with gravel and more angel shark teeth in the shell bit areas, probably they wash out differently by weight and shape.   

The small size of the teeth is due to sorting. If your digging look for coarser sand and gravel for bigger teeth. Same goes for surface collecting I suppose. Not saying things can't be of mixed sizes just saying that sorting tends to segregate things of similar size.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:27 AM, Plax said:

The small size of the teeth is due to sorting. If your digging look for coarser sand and gravel for bigger teeth. Same goes for surface collecting I suppose. Not saying things can't be of mixed sizes just saying that sorting tends to segregate things of similar size.

There are several deep holes now in the creek with bigger shells accumulated.  When the water drops I'll try to screen some of those spots.  With the snow I expect to get my feet wet in the cold water but heavy wool socks keep them reasonably warm.

Am just far enough south (Pender Co., NC) to not worry about that often. Last year being one of the exceptions. I hate the white stuff. shuts the entire place down here if we get even a dusting

• 2 weeks later...

Still looks like some great finds! Congrats!

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.