Possible bone??

Hiitsjustme

Hi! I found this about a month ago and have kept it on my night stand ever since. I have a tendency to do that with new finds that I am unsure about. 

I found this on my property in Indiana. I live in a geologically interesting place as this is where the glacier did not reach but the melt created hills and hollers. Also this was shallow sea at one time. I am not in the limestone area but I find alot of limestone fossils. This area has native sand stone which is why the glacier melt left the hills and hollers. The best part is this area became the resting point of what ever the glacier brought with from the north so there is plenty of non native finds. 

This item I found was near my seasonal creek (it's running when it's raining). I did have to scrub it a while because it is very porous which is not normal for my fossil finds. It is a little over 4cm long and rounded. It also is narrower on one end than the other. The larger end is about 3cm and the smaller end is about 2.5 cm in diameter. It does have a "knob" on one side. Also the larger end seems to have a white interior or at least it is more pronounced on that end. It's weight is 2.1 oz. I did do the lick test and it was successful and did not taste like a rock (lol sorry I saw a member wrote that some where kiddingly about testing bone and it is sooo funny I nearly fell of my chair). 

Ok now some photos and thank you for any and all help. I have now snooped this forum enough to know help is on the way!!!

Picts are 

Knob side

Larger diameter side

Smaller diameter side

Side opposite knob

1546960209275533716619.jpg

1546960262664-387437028.jpg

1546960306129957663758.jpg

1546960328170228199050.jpg

Edited by Hiitsjustme
My auto correct switch sea to are
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks ynot! I had to google that but yes I can see what you are saying. Then this is the first burrow cast I have found! Also makes sense for the area. Very cool. Also a bit relieved I haven't been licking and sleeping next to a human bone lol! I knew this would be am easy id for the members here. Quick question though is this considered a fossil?

Thanks again

Burrows would be considered ichnofossils; in other words, the traces and tracks left by a once living organism. :) There are palaeontologists entirely dedicated to studying ichnofossils as they are valuable in understanding the behaviour of now vanished organisms and their environment.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Burrows would be considered ichnofossils; in other words, the traces and tracks left by a once living organism. :) There are palaeontologists entirely dedicated to studying ichnofossils as they are valuable in understanding the behaviour of now vanished organisms and their environment.

Again thanks!!! So thrilled to learn about the nature I love! Ichnofossils is a new term for me along with the burrow cast. Just thrilled to be a part of this community!

• I found this Informative 1