Whitby Psuedoglyphea Lobster

DanJeavs

A little Psuedoglyphea sp. from the Whitby mudstone formation, found at Sandsend near Whitby. A rather rare find due to the carapace and mandibles all being there. Usually you find the odd mandible or legs. It sits proudly in my collection already, and it’s not even been prepped yet. Next month it’s being sent off to be professionally prepped :D

480E81DB-D9D3-49EF-BF61-841206C04778.jpeg

4ECA1DB2-C8B3-46D8-9006-78BDA4E748CE.jpeg

9CF5D1D6-4554-470D-BFCC-54EB461B83A5.jpeg

4E0650D5-E036-4D37-BA72-A05ABEC6F8DC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

nice fossil, looking forward to see it prepped :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Super find! :)

It's lovely. 

Isn’t it just. Been told it’s probably unpreppable which is a shame. The lobster is softer than the matrix around it, which means it can’t be abraided. Only other option I can think of is acid prep, but even then I don’t think that would work. 

1 hour ago, DanJeavs said:

Isn’t it just. Been told it’s probably unpreppable which is a shame. The lobster is softer than the matrix around it, which means it can’t be abraided. Only other option I can think of is acid prep, but even then I don’t think that would work. 

I wouldn't risk it, it's nice enough as it is, would be a tragedy to damage it. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I doubt acid prep would improve things.

Sometimes, for research purposes, one might actually remove (destroy) the soft fossil to expose a high fidelity mold in the hard matrix.  Then you can make a resin or latex cast that shows the all the details.  However, you probably would not want to do that to a specimen for a private collection.

Don

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I wouldn't risk it, it's nice enough as it is, would be a tragedy to damage it. 

Certainly so, hopefully I’ll come across another one day

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I doubt acid prep would improve things.

Sometimes, for research purposes, one might actually remove (destroy) the soft fossil to expose a high fidelity mold in the hard matrix.  Then you can make a resin or latex cast that shows the all the details.  However, you probably would not want to do that to a specimen for a private collection.

Don

You’re right, did some digging around, the only way possible would be to prep mechanical with a needle point at such a ridiculously low power under a microscope. Not something I have the time for, and not something I’d be willing to pay for due to how long it would take. I’m out collecting for a week next week. Let’s see if I can bag another. Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

This is code for "I hope he has my mailing address!"

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Good call to send to a professional prepper, whatever method they choose. I wondered if they could reinforce the soft lobster with some sort of consolidant, then prep it out, but Don's idea sounds interesting - I wonder what the results would look like.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:26 AM, DanJeavs said:

Next month it’s being sent off to be professionally prepped 

Please show Us the end results.

:popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.