Jump to content

Recommended Posts

beachcomber

Please excuse the quality of the pics, they were taken with my iPad. These two were found in a shell wash on Manasota Beach, Englewood Fl.

One looks like a limb bone, and the second one maybe a partial periotic bone?  Thanks in advance.

 

E5C6DED3-7ACB-4A8B-92B1-401B42C6C326.jpeg

95CAB767-13DE-40EE-849F-8F3AD093020A.jpeg

AF702715-9981-42D5-96F9-7531DCC3119F.jpeg

2181DEFA-CA43-436C-BD79-54785A2BE2FF.jpeg

8893DF48-942F-4276-9F76-8A238A433AA5.jpeg

F8693D39-76DD-4510-A4FC-7ECA5452D784.jpeg

19C51253-BC82-40FB-BB53-5EC8997CE250.jpeg

4DD72C2C-D0BF-4310-996D-72C73E37BEE8.jpeg

7A3B8477-680A-49F6-BBF7-F044936CE03A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilus

Longer bone is a calcaneus. Bovine? (Cow, bison)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

I think the first is a river tumbled rock. The cavity in the middle may be from a eroded out fossil.

Does not have the correct texture for an ear bone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantguy
2 hours ago, ynot said:

I think the first is a river tumbled rock. The cavity in the middle may be from a eroded out fossil.

Does not have the correct texture for an ear bone.

Hey Tony, I' can see the tumbled rock idea but I believe it looks more like at bulla due to its overall shape and might be from a manatee/dugong...I dont have any examples of those to show but I'll see if I can find a reference to compare to.  

Regards, Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantguy

Harry what do you think about the other unknown...Dont you have some manatee/dugong periotic/bulla photos to compare to the other item? 

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
spelling edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis
14 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Harry what do you think about the other unknown...Dont you have some manatee/dugong periotic/bulla photos to compare to the other item? 

Regards, Chris 

 

I have no clue about the incised pebble.  It's not a bulla of anything familiar.

 

Dugongid periotics

dugongid periotics.jpg

manatee_bulla_A.JPG

manatee_bulla_B.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot
48 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

it looks more like at bulla due to its overall shape

It does have a vague resemblance to some cetatean periodics, but the shape is not quite right and the texture is not like the periodics/bulla I have seen.

Maybe @Boesse will give His opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit

The "partial periotic" does trigger the some of the search image features for such a fossil and I'd certainly have taken it home to compare with images of actual periotics. Tossing in an alternative guess here--could it be a gastropod cast?

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantguy
On 1/8/2019 at 9:47 PM, Harry Pristis said:

 

I have no clue about the incised pebble.  It's not a bulla of anything familiar.

 

Dugongid periotics

 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:12 PM, ynot said:

It does have a vague resemblance to some cetatean periodics, but the shape is not quite right and the texture is not like the periodics/bulla I have seen.

Maybe @Boesse will give His opinion.

Thanks Harry/Tony..hoping Bobby might see some resemblance to something. 

Regards, Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantguy
On 1/9/2019 at 9:46 AM, digit said:

The "partial periotic" does trigger the some of the search image features for such a fossil and I'd certainly have taken it home to compare with images of actual periotics. Tossing in an alternative guess here--could it be a gastropod cast?

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Hey Ken, I was staring at this some more and comparing it to some photos and although I can see a possible gastropod cast my brain still wants to turn that curved small channeled area into a cochlear canal and make the other holes into the other openings in a small whale/dolphin type petrosal fragment. Hoping the experts can shoot me down/confirm. 

Regards, Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boesse

Thanks @Plantguy for messaging me this - the first thing is the cochlear portion of a baleen whale bulla that has been snapped off the rest of the petrosal/periotic, giving us a great cross-section through the spiral cochlea itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×