Yet More Ordovician Pieces

TriloGuyKy

Hey everyone thanks for all your comments so far for a novice like myself! Here are two more specimens Ive collected recently. Ordovician fossils are hard for me to identify, but I think the round one might be coral or sponge. The other looks sort of like an undersea plant or something. They are both from Middle Ordovician rocks (central KY).

post-2269-12535598434158_thumb.jpg

post-2269-12535598534168_thumb.jpg

post-2269-12535599006592_thumb.jpg

post-2269-12535599140822_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Probably not Favosites; more likely Foerstephyllum or Favistella, but would need to see some mag views of the corallites to determine genera. The other one also appears to be a coral. Probably Tetradium. They look similar to some stuff that I pull from the Millerburg???

Probably not Favosites; more likely Foerstephyllum or Favistella, but would need to see some mag views of the corallites to determine genera. The other one also appears to be a coral. Probably Tetradium. They look similar to some stuff that I pull from the Millerburg???

Am not sure the exact member Solius, probably Millersburg or maybe Bull Fork (central KY) I will try and magnify...Love finding coral, whats the best member to find intact coral in our area?

You can get some excellent maps and other publications from the state's Geological Survey: http://www.uky.edu/KGS/

And it is generally very inexpensive.

erose, Kentucky has some great online resources. TriloGuyKy, on the link erose provided, if you click on "GIS and Maps" you will find the link for http://kgs.uky.edu/kgsmap/KGSGeology/viewer.asp which is an online interactive GAT (geological atlas) for Kentucky. You can zoom in and out, print, etc., all for free. You should be able to pin down the formation of your location with it.

Thanks everyone for the helpful links and identification! Kentucky is really a bonanza for Ordovician fossils if you know where to look!

Archived