Quick question for Worm Burrow experts - Zoophycos?

Kato

While on a walkabout, I chanced across a lower Mississippian formation called Andrecito having this fossil remnant that I believe is Zoophycos. Would someone who knows please advise if this correct?

Thank you, Kato

image.thumb.png.2c014af7e0714c85afbc8763468b0ac9.png 

image.thumb.png.ce322f145f0a151a89059436bc7f1bf5.png

• I found this Informative 2

Interesting find.. I'm not sure what it is but it does look like the pics of Zoophycos I've seen.

I hope you picked up a bunch of those pieces - If you collect all that are visible in that photo, you might be able to clean and glue them together at home! Might take some doing but you'd have a nice bedding plane of the stuff rather than just a small sample.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

you'd have a nice bedding plane of the stuff rather than just a small sample.

I'm not convinced there is a bedding plane for the features to be on, or that they are on at all. They look more in the rock to me, and not really trace fossils at all.

It's a little hard to see all the features of the traces because of the fractured sediment. Patterns might be in the Zoophycos group (e.g. Zoophycos, Rhizocorallium), but there's not visible the typical lateral burrows with spreite morphology. I see lobes with "J" to "U" shaped spreite, which may occur in lophocteniids, so I propose Lophoctenium Richter, 1850 for the specimens in question, and I think the resemblance might be good if we compare them with the ones from here , supposed to be Lophoctenium.

breathitt7.jpg.9ccd323312ac0ce5050fcd40ed7ddc70.jpgbreathitt4.jpg.757ac647908e5f5132403be7f49cc586.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Another example appears in this document.

NaturalBridge.thumb.jpg.ea6add7cc6a2229766412c693c616e2b.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

It's a little hard to see all the features of the traces because of the fractured sediment. Patterns might be in the Zoophycos group (e.g. Zoophycos, Rhizocorallium), but there's not visible the typical lateral burrows with spreite morphology. I see lobes with "J" to "U" shaped spreite, which may occur in lophocteniids, so I propose Lophoctenium Richter, 1850 for the specimens in question, and I think the resemblance might be good if we compare them with the ones from here , supposed to be Lophoctenium.

==========

Hi, would you be able to point an arrow at 'lateral burrows' / 'spreite morphology'. I may have some additional pics that would be helpful in nailing it down.

Kato

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I was able to find this online but clueless how to translate the 3D image portrayed into ID'ing a spreit in the 2D of the specimens

Image result for zoophycos lateral burrows with spreite morphology

Lophoctenium is new to me but may be a good possibility. All the Zoophycus I have ever seen sweep back upon themselves to the same origin point. 

It's exactly what I wanted to upload (I'm referring to the morphology sketch). :dinothumb:

The burrow is the marginal tube.

There are many morphotypes of Zoophycos and its considered that was a great evolution in time. Here's an example showing the evolution between Jurassic and Cretaceous.

5c36748f2bd3f_EarlyJurassictoLateCretaceousevolution.thumb.jpg.5b86b66bc22346f978c95fd995b901d9.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 minutes ago, erose said:

Lophoctenium is new to me but may be a good possibility. All the Zoophycus I have ever seen sweep back upon themselves to the same origin point. 

Combining erose + abyssunder morphological diagram suggestion, I 'think' I interpret this to mean it would be good to have a specimen that spirals to an origin point (shaft). I believe this pic will show that. It's a view from above that has an obvious peak (where the shaft might be). I could take a side view shot to show this if need be. I did bring home what I thought would be a nice specimen. 

image.thumb.png.5b0d18e88cf9d56e5874f618319bac83.png

Does this help or hurt?

5 minutes ago, Kato said:

Combining erose + abyssunder morphological diagram suggestion, I 'think' I interpret this to mean it would be good to have a specimen that spirals to an origin point (shaft). I believe this pic will show that. It's a view from above that has an obvious peak (where the shaft might be). I could take a side view shot to show this if need be. I did bring home what I thought would be a nice specimen. 

image.thumb.png.5b0d18e88cf9d56e5874f618319bac83.png

Does this help or hurt?

It helps.

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Kato said:

Enough to confirm Zoophycos?

Thank you for the picture.
This specimen shows clearly that it is Zoophycos in its earlier morphotype (although it hasn't a comparative scale) when it was smaller than the later ones in the evolution process , similar to the specimens from Zhang et al., 2015.

15-Scientificreports-Zoophycosmacroevolutionsince541Ma.thumb.jpg.7275efed3e5473098ec539bd8f5ce0be.jpg

excerpt from L. Zhang et al. 2015. Zoophycos macroevolution since 541 Ma. Scientific Reports, 5: 1-10

BTW, Zoophycos and Lophoctenium may coexist.

It was a nice thread here and thank you for the topic. :dinothumb:

Thomas Mann

My Library