Chert fossil tiny skull?

werepanther

Found on dirt road in upturned mud in woods of Rhinelander Wisconsin. Looks to have rooted flat upper and lower teeth. I believe if it is a fossil it is glacial washout from somewhere else. Sorry the image quality is terrible and I know it decreases identification chances but it's all I have to send. If it is a fossil skull what might it be?

49577970_2543617169212633_8401105534492606464_o.jpg

49476372_2543617129212637_5974509468212264960_o.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

Sorry, but without better pictures it will be near impossible to make an ID.

We also need to see it from all sides (think cube).

A scale for size would be nice too.

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's probably out of focus because you're holding it fractionally too close to the camera. Sharpness is really important.

With that said, I would be astonished beyond all belief if this were a chert skull, and I imagine it's going to just be suggestive shapes. But I'll await a good image before passing judgement.

Fair enough and I understand how flooring it would actually be if it was and the odds against it. If it is false it sure does look like close together peg teeth with flat bottoms that line up in bite. Weird! 

I got some other pieces I got on the Ice Age Trail I will post too. Have to find my digital camera and it's parts to upload images to the computer, my Kindle Fire camera is horrible.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

It's probably out of focus because you're holding it fractionally too close to the camera. Sharpness is really important.

With that said, I would be astonished beyond all belief if this were a chert skull, and I imagine it's going to just be suggestive shapes. But I'll await a good image before passing judgement.

It does look vaguely like some sort of tiny oreodont skull but I agree it is just suggestive.  The “skull” and “jaw” look like they are formed out of a single piece of rock, unlike a real skull.  But better photos are necessary to make a definitive determination.  Even if it isn’t a fossil it looks like a nice rock to keep.

If it is false it will still be kept as my little chert "dino" pet rock. I plan to have UW Madison look it over next time I visit there also.

Thank you. I appreciate the critical eyes as it helps me in the future to better identify things. I'm great at finding would be fossils or odd geology in unlikely places but not so much on identifying them except for horn coral and honey comb coral.

I'll see if my fiancee can help me with better photos soon as we have the right lighting and time.