places to hunt for shark teeth near Deland Florida?

snowtoothhunter

I will be going to Deland Florida in a couple of weeks. Never been there before, just going for a quick 3 day trip to introduce my grandmother to her new great grandson. I'm hoping to be able to sneak out quick to look for some shark teeth while I`m down there. Looking for suggestions of where I can find shark teeth in that area... Thanks!

Most people loathe to give up their hunting locations to others, especially online. Believe me, I've tried. :rofl: 

Many members here will suggest that you look at a geological map. I haven't hunted in Florida, but there are many posts on this site about Florida creeks yielding shark teeth. 

Personally, I would think twice about getting into any fresh water in Florida. But the gators may be slow and lethargic this time of year...

2 minutes ago, facehugger said:

Most people loathe to give up their hunting locations to others, especially online. Believe me, I've tried. :rofl: 

Many members here will suggest that you look at a geological map. I haven't hunted in Florida, but there are many posts on this site about Florida creeks yielding shark teeth. 

Personally, I would think twice about getting into any fresh water in Florida. But the gators may be slow and lethargic this time of year...

I suspect that many people would be tight lipped about spots, I was hoping that maybe someone would be willing to help a newbie out and send me a pm. It`ll only be a one time thing and I`ll be lucky to get out for more than an hour.. coming from NY I will not be getting too far off the beaten path, too many things that can kill you down there compared to what we have up here..

Unfortunately  members are becoming  more tight lipped because some individuals have destroyed sites by over zealous digging and/or illegal digging. after being given the information.:angry:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I live in DeLand, ( I think you'll enjoy your visit if it warms up) and I travel at least 2 hours to all of my hunting spots, none of which are secret honey holes. Gainesville is an hour and a half north if you want little things and Jacksonville beaches are the same distance with hit or miss luck. If you had 1/2 a day, I'd take you to Yankeetown for echinoids, but the Santa Fe and Peace are still too deep.

If we get a real cold spell when you're here, take the family to Blue Springs State Park to see the manatees. When it's in the 30's, there can be a couple hundred gathered in the crystal clear spring run.

If you get to visit again when conditions are better and you have more time, I'll take you to the Peace.

• I found this Informative 2

35 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Unfortunately  members are becoming  more tight lipped because some individuals have destroyed sites by over zealous digging and/or illegal digging. after being given the information.:angry:

Yea, I hear that... I`m going down with no tools, not even a sifter... just hoping to get lucky... BTW, I`m also in liverpool.... I think I saw somewhere on here someone from Utica as well....

17 minutes ago, Sacha said:

I live in DeLand, ( I think you'll enjoy your visit if it warms up) and I travel at least 2 hours to all of my hunting spots, none of which are secret honey holes. Gainesville is an hour and a half north if you want little things and Jacksonville beaches are the same distance with hit or miss luck. If you had 1/2 a day, I'd take you to Yankeetown for echinoids, but the Santa Fe and Peace are still too deep.

If we get a real cold spell when you're here, take the family to Blue Springs State Park to see the manatees. When it's in the 30's, there can be a couple hundred gathered in the crystal clear spring run.

If you get to visit again when conditions are better and you have more time, I'll take you to the Peace.

Well pretty much anywhere is warmer than it is here now.. This weekend the high temps are supposed to be mid teens. I was wading around calvert cliffs in MD 2 wks ago barefoot with shorts on.. We will be flying down on the 20th, and flying back on the 23rd, not sure what the weather will be like down there when we arrive.

Thanks for the tip on the manatees, that might be something that I can convince the kids to do...

13 minutes ago, snowtoothhunter said:

Yea, I hear that... I`m going down with no tools, not even a sifter... just hoping to get lucky... BTW, I`m also in liverpool.... I think I saw somewhere on here someone from Utica as well....

Well you should check out the Syracuse Gem & mineral club. We meet the 3rd Monday of every month. Next meeting isms January 21 in the plaza behind Heid's. You can meet a lot of people with knowledge about places to go to find all kinds of fossils and minerals.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, Sacha said:

Sacha,  the kids want to see gators in the wild, anywhere where I can take them to see gators in the area? thanks.

6 hours ago, snowtoothhunter said:

Sacha,  the kids want to see gators in the wild, anywhere where I can take them to see gators in the area? thanks.

Take a walk in Lake Woodruff National Wildlife Refuge near DeLeon Springs or (again) Blue Springs State Park in Orange City. There are boat rides out of Deleon Springs Park to see gators and birds and another boat out at the end of Highbanks road in Debary (the Swamp House Grill is in this marina and is a good place for lunch). Sunny warmer days are best, but cold days are best for the springs.

Thanks Sacha for the tips... The fam loved Blue springs. The manatees were cool to see, but I also loved the crystal clear water that allowed you to the thousands of fish that were in there as well. Was able to make it north and hunt a beach for a lil bit..

2-5-19 teeth.jpg

2-5-19 teethb.jpg