Can you help ID bumpy-surface fossil?

PSchleis

Found on Myrtle Beach. Seems to be almost enamel-like beneath the bumps, as if the bumps were added later. But I can't remove any of the bumps so it's a solid piece.

It's thin, and the bumps are on all sides.

Thanks!

- Paula

P1110817.thumb.JPG.9d5a94c364c239c691659af6e90ab071.JPG

5c36086cc9e97_textured(2).thumb.JPG.56f9de4b4437214526d5428b65d2f9f6.JPG5c36086e7a39a_textured(3).thumb.JPG.7bfc00bb51d633d5061669203f37cf4b.JPG5c36086b948af_textured(1).thumb.JPG.051662f3f0fbd14192bbef3c296cd6fe.JPG

It looks a lot like a piece of oyster shell with filled-in galleries of the sponge Cliona. We get virtually identical specimens in the Cretaceous of NJ.

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Carl said:

It looks a lot like a piece of oyster shell with filled-in galleries of the sponge Cliona. We get virtually identical specimens in the Cretaceous of NJ.

Yep, what he said...

Have a handful of matching specimens myself.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

thanks Carl. It's amazing what things look like depending on the experience of the member. I recall seeing cucullea completely replaced or represented with cliona for the shell and wrapped around the steinkern. Sort of a cliona pseudomorph.

• I found this Informative 2

I can tell there is a slight concave to it, so I can see the oyster shell possibility. I looked up cliona and it says it is a boring sponge. I've got tons of fossils with boreholes, but this isn't anything like that. I'm not an expert, but I really think this looks like bumps have been added to the original material, not the result of something being stripped away. It's really a pretty thing, the way the silver-gray original material reflects through the black nodules. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

Paula

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Ah ! , but is it a trace fossil or a body fossil ? :)

Trace fossil of Cliona, body fossil of oyster.

2 hours ago, Plax said:

thanks Carl. It's amazing what things look like depending on the experience of the member. I recall seeing cucullea completely replaced or represented with cliona for the shell and wrapped around the steinkern. Sort of a cliona pseudomorph.

Yes! We get those in NJ for snails, bivalves, and even belenmites. So amazing!

52 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

I can tell there is a slight concave to it, so I can see the oyster shell possibility. I looked up cliona and it says it is a boring sponge. I've got tons of fossils with boreholes, but this isn't anything like that. I'm not an expert, but I really think this looks like bumps have been added to the original material, not the result of something being stripped away. It's really a pretty thing, the way the silver-gray original material reflects through the black nodules. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

Paula

The way these preserve in NJ, evidenced by several phases of this transformation which we find, would be:

1. Living oyster (or other mollusk)

2. Dead oyster (or other mollusk)

3. Cliona creates the galleries (i.e., 'boreholes') and occupies the shell

4. Cliona dies and rots away

5. Galleries fill with sediment

6. Sediment lithifies

7. Shell chemically erodes away, first leaving things like you have followed by the things @Plax describes.

8. Mechanical degradation results in shattered galleries that have lost hints of what kind of shell was occupied.

• I found this Informative 6

1 minute ago, Carl said:

The way these preserve in NJ, evidenced by several phases of this transformation which we find, would be:

1. Living oyster

2. Dead oyster

3. Cliona creates the galleries (i.e., 'boreholes')

4. Cliona dies and rots away

5. Galleries fill with sediment

6. Sediment lithifies

7. Shell chemically erodes away, first leaving things like you have followed by the things @Plax describes.

8. Mechanical degradation resulting in shattered galleries that have lost hints of what kind of shell was occupied.

That was extremely helpful! Thank you for taking the time to explain that!

• I found this Informative 1

53 minutes ago, Carl said:

3. Cliona creates the galleries (i.e., 'boreholes') and occupies the shell

Why is this not a mold of the sponge ?

Outranked by the fact that the sponge did it ?

It's a very nice example of Entobia. The infilled galleries are either pyritized or phosphatized, in my opinion.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That's an interesting specimen, i didn't know this kind of fossil. I would have taken it for an interesting concretion.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

25 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It's a very nice example of Entobia. The infilled galleries are either pyritized or phosphatized, in my opinion.

Save you a step. He's agreeing. :)

WIKI 

I agree! :D
Another picture from here  may be more convincing.

Entobia-bivalve-1-exterior-Prairie-Bluff-Chalk-Formation.jpg.feb16345a682a595ab6604a9a778d02e.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

16 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Why is this not a mold of the sponge ?

Outranked by the fact that the sponge did it ?

The galleries could be seen as a mold of the sponge or tunnels that they create outright. The infill, in this case the black material, could be seen as a cast of the sponge or an internal mold (steinkern) of the galleries.